Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Applying for reception, speech delay

(4 Posts)
jmaureydelaunay Tue 30-Jul-13 14:29:35

Hi, we just moved back to London from the US, this past week. My 5 year old was diagnosed with a Pervasive Developmental Delay ( PDD) specifically he requires Language therapy with focus on expressive and pragmatic language skills. he also benefits from a small classrooms which allows him to model social behaviors. As we just moved, we dont know what schools are areas are the best, does anyone know how I can find schools that have speech and language programs incorporated? We are currently staying at friends in Kilburn Park, but are looking to move east, towards London Fields. Some schools like Queensbridge and Lauriston look good. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Feeling overwhelmed as I know the registrations closed already so am looking for almost the impossible which is in year admission... HELP

VIVIKINS Thu 11-Jul-13 12:04:45

My son had the same problem and didn't get a proper diagnosis until he was 7-8 years old but we were lucky as he was accepted into a school that also had a speech & language base so he would have most of his lessons in this base with more helpers and only 16 children in there across the junior school years, and things like PE with the main class, we applied through his speech therapists, if you child is not seeing a speech therapists, I would contact the council education department and ask to speech to the special needs department. Hope this helps you

ouryve Wed 27-Mar-13 20:04:24

DS1 is non-verbal and is in mainstream, with full time 1:1 support. Your DS is entitled to go to any school you meet the catchment criteria for.

FlutterShyPinkiePie Wed 27-Mar-13 20:02:02

My DS is 3 and has a speech delay. We have seen an NHS therapist and are currently waiting for more sessions. He has also had a few sessions with a private therapist.

He has yet to be diagnosed with any official 'condition' but only has a handful of words that are intelligible to anyone outside the family (& even I have to know what he is looking at to understand him)

In January we will have to submit his application for a reception place and have no idea how it works in this situation. Ideally he would go to the school his sister goes to which does offer some completely SN places and has support for those in mainstream classes too if required.

Does anyone have any advice for applying for schools in this situation? Would main stream classes accept a speech delay? Should I tell the school before applying? Is there a level of speech required for mainstream or does it differ from school to school? Just don't know how to begin the process hmm

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now