Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Dyslexia tutor financial help

(4 Posts)
bigTillyMint Tue 26-Feb-13 07:44:30

It may be that another school could provide more/better support, but what you are saying sounds like the norm for most state schools. I would definitely advise you to wait until the EP has seen him and he has had any assessments as if you did decide to move him, you would have to start the process all over again.

What makes you think it is dyslexia? Is that what the school has said? Is he only struggling with reading and writing but fine with other stuff?

mummaxmas Mon 25-Feb-13 21:11:18

Thank you, yes he is at a state school, they will be giving him extra help in small groups and individual work, but I don't think it's going to be enough so was hoping to get him a tutor, turns out its rather expensive ! £30 ph seems more reasonable. I wonder if another school would be better as they don't seem to have the resources

bigTillyMint Mon 25-Feb-13 20:51:04

Is he at a state school? If so, then the EP will see him as part of the school's allocation of visits. I guess this is to ascertain what his difficulties actually are as EP's do not generally "work" with children but assess them.

If the EP does identify dyslexia or some sort of SpLD, then the school should put some sort of provision in place. This probably won't be a dyslexia specialist teacher unless the school is very lucky to have one on their staff.

Dyslexia specialist tutors typically charge around £30 an hour to work with children outside of school hours - usually at the child's home or the tutors house.

mummaxmas Mon 25-Feb-13 20:46:05

I'm looking for a tutor for my ds 6 who is really struggling at school, the school have decided to get him an educational psychologist , I think it would also be good for him to have tuition but with a dyslexia specialist it's looking around £50ph, can I get help with this from the school or council ???? I've discussed with hubby and we def can't afford it in our own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now