Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

specialist college placement application

(7 Posts)
kittycat68 Sun 04-Nov-12 19:00:06

hi ds wants to go to specialist college, we have applied to the college and been offered a place, but it has to be funded by the LEA. The transition service say just apply for this college but the college said we must apply to local colleges and get turned down before getting the funding. Ds dosent want to go to any of the local colleges as they are either too difficult for him to get to on his own or wont offer the courses he wants.
Not sure what to do the specialist college would be residential and the best for him. How do we make sure the LEA will fund the placement first time round without having to go to tribunal. any help would be much appricaited.

kittycat68 Tue 06-Nov-12 09:39:13


kittycat68 Tue 06-Nov-12 18:49:41


kittycat68 Wed 07-Nov-12 08:58:33


Leithlurker Fri 09-Nov-12 00:50:56

There is no way to be able to forsee what the LEA will do, for many reasons they may refuse, or offer an alternative that your son does not want but they will say allows them to meet his needs with out the probable higher cost of paying his residential fees.

However, this might well be about collecting as much evidence such as going to speak to the staff at the other places he thinks are unsuitable and get them to assess him. Also medical and social work reports if applicable. If he is going to study a particular subject make the case why he would be better off residential. Have a look in the local not for profit agencies for any advocacy services, or independent living services to see if they can tell you of a specialist service or advice centre in your region.

GNiBhroin Sun 11-Nov-12 12:54:30

Just checking....does he have a statement of educational needs? I am currently applying for one for my 16 year old and it will specify the name of the specialist residential college we have chosen for him

kittycat68 Wed 28-Nov-12 10:42:14

sorry not to have responded went on holiday!!

yes he does have a statement was a full statemnet but now less hours as hes in sixthfrom

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: