Talk

Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

2 yr old - need advice

(2 Posts)
jollys Fri 14-Oct-11 15:03:10

Hi

My 2 year old daughter is developmentally delayed. Her gross motor skills are not bad - she is walking now. But her fine motor skills are delayed - not eating finger food for example.

The main concern is her speech and language delays. She did not have eye contact earlier but its better now. But her receptive and expressive speech is missing. She babbles a lot now a days.

The issue is as follows

- We live on a street which is split in 2 boroughs. So we technically live in Barking & Dagenham.
- She goes full time to a nursery(very close to our house and good ofsted report) which is in Redbridge
- Our GP is registered in Havering.

Because SALT comes from health, its situated in Havering and they are not ready to visit her nursery. I will now be changing her GP so that its in Barking and Dagenham

Because she goes to a full time nursery outside of the borough and Portage comes from Education, they are only giving us 10 portage sessions.

We are going private to see the OT at http://www.hemispheres.org.uk/

I have asked her Nursery's SENCO to raise this with their SEN representative(which will be in Redbridge). I am hoping something good will come out of it.

I am concerned about autism assessment and they wont do it since health and education from different boroughs cant talk. The ideal situation would be to move her in a (crap) Barking and dagenham nursery, move the GP and then get education and health involved.

She is so well settled at her current nursery. Her key worker is great, and works with her. DH is totally against moving her and wants to give her few more months. If she is still non-vocal he wants to do a private assessment.

My question is Is there a risk in not involving local services and going private?

Thanks
Shilpi

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 16-Oct-11 10:18:54

I think others have had similar problems in London before and have ended up either having to move or get all services from the same borough. Try posting again on SN children as it's a much busier board than this one. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now