Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Should I push for a Dyslexia assessment? (long sorry!)

(8 Posts)
lorisparkle Thu 06-Oct-11 22:35:51

DS1 was initially diagnosed with a speech delay (although I was convinced there was more to it) when he was 2 1/2yrs. At 4 1/2yrs he was diagnosed with a speech disorder - expressive/phonological. I still think there is more to it but the SALT just wants to focus on improving his speech before thinking about grammar/word finding difficulties etc.

Anyway he has been at school for a year now with a strong emphasis on learning to read through synthetic phonics. He has found this exceptionally difficult as he does not say many words accurately and struggles to hear the sounds in words. Whe he reads it is usually through memory/pictures/story structure although he randomly can read things phonetically or by sight.

School are now commenting on how he really struggles with writing. I always hoped that his ability to write letters would be fine as he always seemed to have good hand/eye co-ordination and is great with recreating patterns etc. However he finds this really hard. Today we were doing writing and the s looked like a 3, the w looked like a m, the e was upside down, the d was unrecognisable and the p was more like an e.

I have always put the problems with reading and writing down to his language. His maths is good however he struggles with the written form - either reading or writing numbers especially getting the tens and units the right way round.

I am so worried about him and have just had the review meeting. It was there that the concerns about writing were really flagged up. The SENCO also said that the teacher had said that he was lazy with his talking. Not sure in what context she said this but that has concerned me even further.

When I asked today whether we should be investigating further the reply was that he is only 5yrs and just settling into year 1 and we should wait until Christmas.

So any thoughts. Should we push for an educational psychologist to come in and see him? DH and I are really concerned about this and his future so any help really appreciated.

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 07-Oct-11 14:39:14

My daughter is in yr 3 and was referred to the senco at the start of yr1. I have constantly asked them to put her on the list for the ed phyc. the waiting list is now 2 years long. I am going to pay for a private assessment as i can wait any longer for the school.

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 07-Oct-11 14:40:54

forgot to add i am still waiting from yr 1, everytime i have a meeting with the senco she says give her 6 months and this had gone on now for over 3 years. Yes ask them to refer you and dont be put off by the school like i have been.

lorisparkle Fri 07-Oct-11 19:32:42

Thanks Fifi although it sounds as though it has been a nightmare for you. I heard today that our LEA does not like diagnosing dyslexia until Year 7! I will ask at parents evening and see what happens.

Fifis25StottieCakes Sat 08-Oct-11 16:54:13

I was talking to the head of a different primary yesterday. She told me even if i wait the 18mnt to see the school phyc they cannot diagnose dyslexia. They can only see if she has signs. She advised me if i can get the money together to see the private phyc who can make a diagnosis so i am now looking down that route.

lorisparkle Sun 09-Oct-11 21:51:45

Yes I think some LEAs are 'anti' a dx of dyslexia. I have found a document outlining what schools should do. This could give you some ammunition if you have not already seen it.

Good luck!

NotInTheMood Fri 14-Oct-11 13:01:06

I could of wrote this about my ds who has just started year 2. Please keep me updated about your progress. I've spoke to a lot of teachers and the general concensus is he is still too young for diagnosis. He is however getting a lot of support in class and is in a small phonics group 2/3 times a week now plus extra reading time. His current teacher really wants to see an improvement this year and can see how hard my ds works in class despite how hard he struggles. I feel I can really trust her and her decisions. At this stage I really the extra support he is getting. If there are concerns with dyslexia then il probably go private.

lorisparkle Fri 14-Oct-11 21:16:26

Sounds like you have a good teacher there and lots of extra support in class. We have parents evening soon so will hear what there plans are for supporting him. If we can not push for the support we think he needs we will look at private too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: