Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Can anyone help to explain statements (behaviour problems)

(6 Posts)
Demiwave Mon 12-Sep-11 22:54:46

I posted on here last week about my nephew who has severe behaviour issues. He is academically able (high/average). I am going to a meeting with SIL tomorrow at school with the head and an anger management specialist that school have requested.
DN does not have a statement. He is in the nurture group. I have some questions that I wondered if anyone could help me with:

Could he get a statement purely on the basis of his social, emotional and behavioural difficulties?
What is school action/ plus and could this be implemented?
If he did receive a statement, what does this mean? How would this help him?

Demiwave Mon 12-Sep-11 22:55:52

Sorry, am off to bed now but will pick up any replies before I leave in the morning.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 12-Sep-11 23:21:00

just off to bed myself but have a read of the sen code of practice should answer a lot of your questions.

having a statement would offer him extra funding for support over and above what the school can provide on sa and sa+ and is legally binding so school and lea have to provide what it says, they couldn't use the extra funding for something else. I don't have a child with the same needs but from what I've read on here, you can get a statement on those grounds. Try contacting parent partnership in your area and have a look at the ipsea site, there's a model letter on there you can use to apply for a statutory assessment yourself.

AlysWho Tue 13-Sep-11 08:47:37

Sorry I'm rushing too, but-
Speak to the SENCO(Special Ed Needs Coordinator) at school, she should be able to answer all your questions, and can give you advice on wether a statemnet is needed or likely.
School action is an identified need for extra support at school, where the child recieves additional help within the school and should include and Individual Learning Plan (IEP)
School action plus is as above but with outside agency involvemnent, eg Behavioural team , speech and language therapists etc
From what you've said, I imagine he's on SA, and bringing in the Behavioural peeps will make him SA+. Make sure his IEP's are appropriate to his needs and that they are being implemented(not just stuck in a drawer) and reviewed AT Least every term.
Good luck x

Demiwave Tue 13-Sep-11 11:48:07

Thanks for your help, I will have a read. The meeting seemed to be a success.

SNM Fri 16-Sep-11 12:17:59

Hi Demiwave. Have a look at my site, My boys both as Aspergers and are very bright. We got them statements based on the effect that their SCD were having on their education and ability to learn to their full potential. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now