Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

How do I find out if my LA accept private OT assessments please?

(10 Posts)
Becaroooo Mon 04-Apr-11 10:25:22

Well, OP title says it all really!
I know I should probably talk to the SENCO at the school but have never met her - she doesnt know me or my son (he has been at the school for 4 months and has just been put on school action)
Anyone know how I can find out?

lelly88 Mon 04-Apr-11 15:55:48

Ask the SENCO, and if she doesn't know ask for the LEA contact number from her. If your DS has had a school Ed Psych assessment you could phone and ask the Ed Psych directly.

Becaroooo Mon 04-Apr-11 17:13:55

Hasnt had one yet.
Still waiting for the gp referral to the comm paed. sigh.

electra Mon 04-Apr-11 17:18:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Becaroooo Mon 04-Apr-11 17:49:39

hmmm...not sure what to do.

Still waiting for referral from GP to comm paed.

We are doing retained reflex therapy (have been doing it for a month) and I have got some ergonomic pens for school and a reading rule for school (which I havent told them yet!).

Just fed up waiting now......

Lougle Mon 04-Apr-11 18:47:20

You know they accept them because the SEN Code of Practice tells them they have to give them as much regard as NHS reports. Whether they know they accept them is a different matter. But at a Tribunal they would soon find that out!

Becaroooo Mon 04-Apr-11 19:09:21

ah, I didnt know that lougle Thats interesting. How do I go about finding a private OT? so clueless about all this.....

feynman Thu 26-May-11 01:26:23

We have private ot report as in our authority the nhs OT's will not see anyone with dyspraxia/spd etc as they are so underfunded apparently!. We can't even get an appointment with them for an assessment, they've used refused to see us as his needs aren't 'severe enough' (apparently they know this without ever seeing him). Basically unless you are unable to walk or have severe cp (that is exactly what they told me), they you can't be seen.
Therefore, a private ot was the only way we could get anywhere. Predictably wthe lea will not accept their report so we are going to tribunal. Will let you know the outcome.

replenish Fri 27-May-11 15:08:36

How frustrating Feynman, we were in the same position with our older son who has a diagnosis of dyspraxia, we couldn't get services either. Our younger son has cp and we have seen more of an OT although they are still not providing the level of OT input agreed at SEND tribunal over 12 months ago, despite constant requests from myself, judicial review is about to be applied for.
Good luck with your tribunal, I am sure the LA will be more reasonable if they know one is on the cards and as Lougle says it's in the SEN cop, so it will be a bit daft if they don't acknowledge your private report, perhaps they are just playing for time?

feynman Sat 28-May-11 01:07:03

Im sure they are playing for time. It will be a money saving thing I'm sure. Still frustrating though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: