Advanced search

LA and policy on support for schools

(9 Posts)
KisstheTeapot14 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:45:00

Local LA has very narrow criteria for school to access specialist teachers. DS has dyspraxia and delay in maths and english (almost 2 and 3 years) LA says 2 years behind for everything and if school ask and are refused they have to wait a full year to reapply.

I know from people on here that this is just a gatekeeping policy, but how could I challenge it? Also school when asked said there is no plan B. Carry on with provision we have.

So frustrated, this has been rolling on for 16 months now. SENCO nice but a bit of a choccy teapot. Smiles and platitudes don't get a child educated. With ongoing battles we think he has reasonable support for dyspraxia but only 25 mins a day with TA on literacy and he gap is widening very quickly.

School don't have a magic wand or money pot. Feel we are falling through the gaps. Anything we can do short of applying for EHCP?

Meeting school tomorrow. Feel like they paper over cracks as no-one wants to admit the system isn't working.

blizzard79 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:55:06

Have you looked at IPSEA and the SEND Code of Practise?

KisstheTeapot14 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:37:15

Think I'll make an appt with IPSEA/SOSSEN and have a chat about where we are and what route we could take forward.

School can't do their job without funds but I'll be damned if I let my child fail because of that.

Sirzy Wed 16-Jan-19 14:38:13

If would apply for an EHC if you think he needs extra support

Thekidsarefightingagain Wed 16-Jan-19 15:39:58

Definitely apply for an EHCP. If the school's efforts aren't working then he will need one. Get private Ed Psych & OT reports if possible and then apply yourself.

KisstheTeapot14 Wed 16-Jan-19 16:21:15

Thanks Sirzy and Thekids.

Will await ed psych report, have decent OT reports from NHS late last year. SALT and eye tests being done. Will know more after April once new funds applied for at school and seen paediatric team. Looks increasingly like we will be applying for EHCP assessment.

KisstheTeapot14 Wed 16-Jan-19 16:22:23

Once this is done and in place (I know, once it is) is there an annual review and can it be added to each year as things become apparent/needs change?

KisstheTeapot14 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:34:33

Update: Met with school this week. They suggested we apply for EHCP as soon as majority of reports are in the basket. They will support us to the max. Said if school apply its more tricky when it comes to appeals, we have more leeway as parents. Some trepidation but at least we are moving the scenario on, rather than the stasis we had last year. Will have more meeting to discuss current provision but I do feel a lot more confidence in current leadership team than one we had last year by 100 % At last we are gunning on the same side.

SaturdayNext Fri 18-Jan-19 07:42:26

It makes no difference to the right of appeal whether the school applies or the parents. However, the bonus of you applying is that you know exactly when the application went in and can keep a close eye on the timetable. Don't allow the local authority to let it slip.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: