Talk

Advanced search

Diet and supplement question for SPD and ASD- Nemechek protocol and Omega oils

(6 Posts)
LittleMy77 Sun 13-Jan-19 19:03:33

Bit of a random one but I'm falling down rabbit holes of what I suspect isn't particularly well researched info on line.

Its a recurring theme that keeps popping up with various therapists about altering the diet and adding supplements for DS.

I've been recommended more than once now the Nemechek protocol approach - I understand what it is, but I'm a bit hmm when I see stuff associated with it that proclaims to halt or reverse certain types of autism and symptoms that go with it.

Has anyone followed this and have any feedback (good or bad) or can provide any pointers on where I can get more info?

Jaz32 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:45:23

I have heard about omega 3 being helpful because it is supposedly “brain fuel” but I hadn’t heard of nemechek protocol so had a quick look online. I’d be very sceptical of anything that claims to cure or reverse autism, I think it’s a gimmick playing on parents who are struggling and desperate.

LittleMy77 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:26:41

Yeah me too, it automatically sets alarm bells ringing for me when I see this sort of thing.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Tue 15-Jan-19 20:02:08

It's a con.

zzzzz Tue 15-Jan-19 20:55:42

Vitamins are a great idea. Beyond normal supplements I’d give it a VERY wide berth.

Sippingmytea Wed 23-Jan-19 21:12:28

My son has a severe speech disorder- most likely verbal dyspraxia. I give him fish oil supplements every day. I can’t say for certain if it helps or whether the small progress he has made with his language (not his speech) is because of it, but when I stopped for 2 weeks (illness related) I saw a dramatic deterioration.
I’ve also come across the Nemecheck protocol online. Some people swear by it. I wasn’t convinced and don’t feel there is any evidence beyond anecdotal to justify trying it. I was also alarmed by talk of children developing side effects which could only be rectified by upping dosages. Not for me or my child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: