Talk

Advanced search

Can somebody please explain what safeguarding means?

(11 Posts)
Hellokittymania Tue 01-Jan-19 13:57:25

What does it mean when somebody says it's the safeguarding issue? What is safeguarding?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 01-Jan-19 14:04:28

"*protecting children from maltreatment
preventing impairment of children’s health or development
*ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
*taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes"

Littlefish Tue 01-Jan-19 14:04:54

It can mean different things in different contexts, but basically, it's anything that means a child (or vulnerable adult) is at risk of physical, emotional, sexual harm or neglect.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 01-Jan-19 14:05:39

From here

Hellokittymania Tue 01-Jan-19 14:24:17

Little fish, so what an example be if you're an adult and you're living with somebody who is violent count? Or another example would be… if you're carer is it looking after you well.

Madonna, I'm sorry but I have a reading difficulties and what you gave me doesn't make much sense. We're my examples correct?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 01-Jan-19 15:21:41

A vulnerable adult being mistreated by a carer would be a safeguarding issue.

Hellokittymania Tue 01-Jan-19 16:00:17

OK thank you.

Littlefish Tue 01-Jan-19 22:19:56

Are you ok @hellokittymania? Can we help any further?

Hellokittymania Wed 02-Jan-19 02:04:05

Yes, I'm OK little fish. I just didn't understand what this meant.

maggiso Tue 08-Jan-19 20:33:10

To me it means keeping a vulnerable person or child safe.

Nay08 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:00:46

A safeguarding issue can be raised when anyone is classed as vulnerable. This includes children under 18, and adults who are in receipt of services. It can include an adult in hospital (whether or not they have a disability or not), adults who have carers / support workers, adults who need support from relatives, etc.
So if they are at risk because they rely on someone else, then they are at risk of safeguarding issues. This can be because a care home isnt providing the correct services, a relative is not helping with getting the weekly shopping in where that individual could be at risk of malnutrition etc, or where a paid carer is not doing their job.
Safeguarding issues can be raised by anyone that is concerned. That can be a neighbour or a friend or a carer etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: