Talk

Advanced search

To old for reins?

(16 Posts)
CleverQuacks Sat 29-Dec-18 19:20:45

My son is nearly 4. He is also very tall for his age so people tend to think he is older. He has development delay and is currently being assessed for autism. He has very little language. One of the main issues is he is a runner. When we are out he will be walking nicely one minute and then suddenly sprint off. He is so fast. I am also a single parent to two other boys so I am often trying to chase my son whilst not lose my other kids.

Today in Morrison’s he took off and would have been in the car park if it hadn’t been for the security guard spotting him and stepping in front of the door.

I don’t know what to do other than put him on reins. I try to hold his hands but he hates it.

Is he to old for reins? Any wise ideas on how to keep him near us when we are out?

BollocksToBrexit Sat 29-Dec-18 19:32:29

We used a wrist strap for DS at that age. Thankfully he did stop bolting but the plan was to get waist ones if he didn't.

shouting Sat 29-Dec-18 19:36:40

We have backpack reins like this for our 4 year old.

TeenTimesTwo Sat 29-Dec-18 20:40:10

Surely you need to do whatever you need to do to keep him safe?
Some people comment on reins whatever the age, as for some reason they think a running off child is preferable to a safe one.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 29-Dec-18 20:44:12

Yeah.....

What happened to your kids being 10 6 and 2?

CleverQuacks Sat 29-Dec-18 20:51:59

Thanks all. I will invest in some reins

CleverQuacks Sat 29-Dec-18 20:53:03

Captainkirksspookyghost are you stalking me?

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 29-Dec-18 21:07:51

It would help my answer to know the actual age of the child. As my response to just turned three and one day away from four will be different.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 29-Dec-18 21:10:11

And yes I check the op's history with this kind of post. I do the same before giving advice on nappies.

CleverQuacks Sat 29-Dec-18 21:21:43

This kind of post??? It’s a post about reins on a toddler? Maybe I am naive but how controversial can it be?

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 29-Dec-18 21:24:28

It's not controversial. We get quite a few adult babies on the boards.

zzzzz Mon 31-Dec-18 01:21:29

We get quite a few adult babies on the boards
shock do we? shock
I often think I am oblivious to large parts of MN.

OP ask if you can use the trolley with the seat for adults, or try linked belts. It get (a bit) better with time.

Nay08 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:02:58

You can use reins at any stage. Im a RN, and have used reins with a 6 foot 5 adult. Yes you may get some weird looks in public but if it helps to keep the individual and members of the public safe etc, then why not.

Survivor18 Fri 15-Feb-19 20:51:24

I used the rein harness far longer with one of mine than would be deemed 'normal'. Attached a retractable dog lead to the harness so I could determine how far DD strayed. The wrist strap length is ok, but the older they get the less practical it is. With the lead attached DD could walk further away or stop to pick things up, but I retained overall control.

anniehm Mon 18-Feb-19 18:22:02

I used reins until my younger dd could be trusted not to run off as I had to physically hold onto my eldest in some way, tricky with two kids when you need to pay. Used a full harness in a double buggy until nearly 5 when it fell apart from being too heavy. Luckily dd was tiny and people thought they were twins!

spinabifidamom Mon 18-Feb-19 21:46:43

I used to use a pram when DS and DD were babies. Now that they are 2 years old I have resorted to using other options. Whenever we go out I have insisted on them holding my hand if we are crossing the road or at a railway station just in case. Otherwise I give them a certain amount of freedom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: