Talk

Advanced search

DCD diagnosis

(64 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 06:53:22

Sorry shouldn't be an AIBU but posting for traffic.

My 5 year old DD has been given a Dyspraxia diagnosis.. her struggles are not entirely obvious - seems to have good balance and good use of motor skills.

Major struggles with concentration, fidgeting, literal thinking, social cues and friendships, following instructions, remembering things, organisation, all of which the OT says leads back to dyspraxia and sensory processing issues.

In year 1 and school not on board or supportive. Not sure if there will be any extra adjustments made for her now as they say she is fine at school (always in trouble)

Financially things aren't so great, but accept that we're not going to get anything on the NHS due to her appearing not to struggle.

Would she benefit from speech and language? Anything else anyone can recommend?

SexNotJenga Fri 21-Dec-18 07:06:39

My recommendation would be that you go back and (very calmly, very politely, very professionally) bollock the school.

DCD is not an unusual diagnosis. Unless it is a tiny village school with 6 pupils, there will be other pupils with DCD. It's not exactly difficult to Google 'strategies for helping children with dcd' and put some of them into place (visual timetable, one instruction at a time, fidget toy, being sat in a low-stimulation part of the classroom, etc etc)

Who is the SENDCo? Sorting this out is their responsibility. Your dd may not 'qualify' for an ehcp but the school should still have a plan if what her difficulties are and how they are supporting her.

If you don't get anywhere, in the long term, I would seriously suggest looking at moving her.

NemoRocksMyWorld Fri 21-Dec-18 07:12:17

I'm sorry the school don't get to "not be in board with it!". It's a diagnosis from health and has to be taken seriously!

What did the ot suggest your daughter would benefit from in her report? My son has dcd. He has sensory circuits once or twice a day which really helps him, also special cutlery and a laptop for writing. He also has various liitle laminated flip cards eg for bag packing/getting dressed.
However, it would depend on your child's difficulties what they would need... The ot usually writes a really clear report as to what should be put in place!

HappyPumpkin81 Fri 21-Dec-18 07:13:19

I'm a speech therapist and would recommend she is seen for assessment of her language skills. DCD can affect your ability to remember and follow instructions and organise your thoughts into words. She may not need any speech therapy but it is best to get an assessment to rule this out. Girls are often not assessed as they tend to be better at masking difficulties and people assume because they can talk there isn't an issue.

Sirzy Fri 21-Dec-18 07:14:24

I would repost on the SN boards.

What reccomendations has the OT made? I would go to school with them. If you can get the OT into school even better

WerewolfNumber1 Fri 21-Dec-18 07:15:20

I’m dyspraxic and as the others say, this is something the school just has to be on board with.

Get a detailed OT report, do some googling for the strategies you think will help, and go see the SENCO.

Dyspraxia foundation used to have an advice line, not sure if they still do, but you could try there.

Chosennone Fri 21-Dec-18 07:16:54

My DS has dyspraxia and is now 13. Did A list of recommendations come with the diagnosis? if yes insist to meet with the senco lead at the school to discuss them.

An ergonomic pen/pencil can help with writing. Cue card reminders for organisation. I sort of did role play type activities to help DS socially but the school may be able to help with that if pushed.

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 07:21:02

Fab responses already, thank you so much!! Senco hasn't even observed DD yet as there's 'never been a need', she has said previously even with a diagnosis (didn't know what for then, just when I said I have concerns) nothing else will be put in place as the school do extras for all the children anyway... think they do 'dough gym' and 'mighty muscles' and have visual timetables already.

The school have a whole list of my concerns and have said they see none of it at school, (OT says she doesn't believe this) school have said maybe it's a parenting issue as she's the youngest of 4, maybe she's attention seeking at home..

I have tried to move her several times, we're in a very overcrowded catchment area and none of the other schools in our area have space, apart from a very large school, that is in special measures, I have looked round and it just would not be suitable for DD, she'd be in a mixed year group class.

I will get in touch with speech and language, although I imagine it will be very expensive privately - if I get a private assessment is there any chance that could lead to NHS funded treatment? If it was needed?

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 07:22:14

And yes the report is extremely detailed and comprehensive with recommendations for the school - including exemption from their horrendous behaviour policies! But I can't see them going for it somehow!

Sirzy Fri 21-Dec-18 07:25:27

I would book a meeting with the Senco after christmas, go through the report in detail with her and make it clear what you expect from them. Pick key points which will help the most.

If this is ignored I would then write a letter of complaint to the chair of governors and the govoner with responsibility for SEN.

In the meantime I would get back in touch with the OT and see if they can assess and observe in scjool and then feed back to school.

Check local procedures for referral to nhs salt - in some places you can self refer or the OT may be able to arrange

sevensatsumas Fri 21-Dec-18 07:34:02

What types of things does she get into trouble for?
Haven’t school witnessed the difficulties following instructions, fidgeting and literal thinking etc?

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 07:48:23

Sevensatsumas - the school have told me there are no concerns and they don't tell me she gets in trouble at school, she does. Making loud random noises, calling out, pushing children, not listening to adults, not following instructions, laughing when being told off. I don't think she'd admit these things to me if they weren't true. They have a 'happy' and 'sad' face with their names, the goal is to stay on the happy face, but she's on the sad face nearly every day for these things.

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 07:55:32

Someone said about having this moved to SN chat, is that something that can be done?

sevensatsumas Fri 21-Dec-18 08:04:47

Would the OT be able to attend a meeting with you to explain how dd’s dyspraxia is impacting in the classroom. Did the OT say that she also had sensory processing difficulties ?

sevensatsumas Fri 21-Dec-18 08:05:34

Report your post and ask mn to move the thread to SN.

HamishTheTalkingCactus Fri 21-Dec-18 08:10:55

The one thing I would try and get her via the NHS is a hearing test, just to rule out any hearing related reason for her appearing not to listen/have trouble with instructions. And I would seriously consider a private SALT assessment as well, to check that your DD has an age appropriate level of understanding of language.

haba Fri 21-Dec-18 08:15:54

Sorry Nemo may I ask about the cutlery? Where is it from please, my DS drives me the despair!

Sirzy Fri 21-Dec-18 08:17:25

HAba - look at caring cutlery/ junior caring cutlery

haba Fri 21-Dec-18 08:28:43

Thank you sirzy!

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 18:03:27

Thank you everyone, we've had a hearing test as that was my first concern, she often says she cannot hear and seems not to hear instructions, hearing all fine!!

The OT is a private one and the appointment was quite far away, I don't think she'd be able to do a school visit. I will definitely go ahead with a speech and language assessment!

dingledangles Fri 21-Dec-18 18:04:10

I can't seem to report my post, I'm using the app and not sure there's a function to do that

NC4Now Fri 21-Dec-18 18:09:11

My DS has this. He’s left school now but really struggled and it was hard to know what would help him.
He used a laptop for his exams and was allowed extra time, because his writing and processing speeds are slow.
I was awarded a little bit of DLA for him in year 11 (that’s just when I applied - he was diagnosed in year 2) and that extra bit of funding enabled me to get him a tutor to help get him through his GCSE English.
It’s worth bearing in mind if you think DD needs extra help but funding it is an issue.

DobbinsVeil Fri 21-Dec-18 18:17:52

I've reported to MN hopefully they will get in touch about moving it.

The school sound awful. It's really hard when you meet resistance/obstruction. Like PP have suggested, will the OT be able to contact school directly?

I'd get a paper trail going, follow up all conversation with school with an email. I always used to put something like "thanks for your time this morning. For the sake of good order, I just wanted to confirm that x was agreed/you were now aware of y" etc

TeenTimesTwo Fri 21-Dec-18 18:18:46

There are a few bits on the Fantastic Dyspraxic website that might help.
I only discovered it after my DD's were older. Eldest diagnosed with dyspraxia age 15, youngest has motor skills bottom 1% and various other difficulties but no clear label.

As the OT report is private not NHS, and your DD is 'only' 5, I am not surprised the school isn't being overly cooperative. She probably presents to them at the wild side of NT rather than someone with a SpLD. Their attitude might change as she gets older as issues will become more pronounced.

Have you looked round the large school yourself and looked at the Ofsted to see why it is in special measures? I wouldn't discount it purely on paper, especially at infant level.

CarolineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Dec-18 18:23:51

Hi @dingledangles, and thanks those who flagged this to us - we'll move the thread over to SN chat shortly. Hope you get the advice and support you are after over there flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: