Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice re: school and xmas

(11 Posts)
Holymolymackerel Fri 14-Dec-18 10:30:58

Could I ask for a bit of advice please? My son is really struggling with the change in routine at school. The school play sent him in to a real spin. They aren't doing any work now, it's just DVDs, making Christmas cards, changing staff all the time, no computers or maths which is his go to thing.
I've asked school to keep him on the normal schedule even if it means sitting him in a corner with the school tablet doing number games. They said there's no time. All they say is "he's coping fine" and "it'll be back to normal in January" but he's not coping. He's constipated, not settling for bed, anxious, says he's got this ache that ache. Doesn't want to talk about school etc. He's becoming more controlling with me, telling me what to do, wear etc.
Monday is making things for the Christmas fair then the afternoon it is the fair, then Tuesday it's the class party. I'm dreading it and not to mention how my son will feel.

What should I do? Keep him off school? Talk to school again? He just says he wants to stay with me. Thank you

Sirzy Fri 14-Dec-18 11:06:10

Can you do him (with school) a clear timetable of what is happening?

Holymolymackerel Fri 14-Dec-18 11:51:16

He has a visual timetable but school aren't very good at sticking to it. He is just struggling with the general excitement or others and the changessad

Didiplanthis Fri 14-Dec-18 13:04:56

How old is he ? I'd be very tempted to keep him off. Doesn't sound like he's going to miss much.

lorisparkle Fri 14-Dec-18 13:15:16

Have you tried a social story with him to explain how things will be different but that it is ok and that things will go back to normal after the holidays? I would also speak to school again, explain about how he might be masking his anxiety at school and emphasise the importance of a timetable even if it is not the normal timetable.

Holymolymackerel Fri 14-Dec-18 13:40:19

Hes 5, 6 in April. Tried social stories, now he just shuts me down and goes to q corner of the lounge and plays maths games on his tablet.

grasspigeons Fri 14-Dec-18 17:52:13

Can you create a chart of these behaviours to forward to your senco/class teacher as they really need to see what impact these days have and provide more support if possible going forward. He's Fine is such a worrying response. Fine at school at what cost at home.

Something like a table with

date/time / setting / trigger / behaviour / response

and put a heading like - Christmas Period 2018 - Off Time TAble - At Home Impact and then a short description that there has been an increase in frequencies/severity of these things during this period.

Also, how is his understanding - does he want to go to the class party and fair? If he doesn't or isn't that aware I'd seriously consider protecting his mental health and saying 'school had finished for Christmas now' and calling in sick.

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 14-Dec-18 20:12:32

I would be tempted to keep him off as they are not meeting his needs of his disability and are just making excuses... that'll focus their minds a bit.

zzzzz Fri 14-Dec-18 22:21:37

Keep him home and ask what they’re covering next term so you can preteach him bits that he might struggle with.

HardAsSnails Fri 14-Dec-18 22:28:31

Strategic days off worked here.

Flyingarcher Sat 15-Dec-18 11:55:35

I think he should have 'a bug'. By the time he gets back in January no one will question if he is better. Plus point is that it gets you out of going to the Christmas fair!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: