Talk

Advanced search

So far behind in speech - feeling lost

(4 Posts)
EssexMummy123456 Tue 11-Dec-18 21:28:14

My DS has just had the ados / multi disciplinary assessments and came out with speech and language and social interaction delays, but not autism / disorders.

But.. when i picked him up at nursery today - all the other 3 year olds can talk, he can put 2 or 3 'taught' words together e.g. I want x and the rest is jargon. I usually do a good job at hiding away from seeing just how behind he is.

And everything is up in the air for going to school, I just feel a bit lost.

HexagonalBattenburg Wed 12-Dec-18 06:51:23

Dd2 could just about do very unclear 2 word phrases at this point in nursery year. By reception start she was probably at 50% intelligible speech if you were tuned into what she was saying and by end of reception I would put that at about 90%. Now in year 1 and fully intelligible and a little chatterbox - it's still young-sounding speech and the grammar is immature (think Bing Bunny) but the curve of how is developed is massive.

Just to give a bit of hope because I remember how heartbreaking it was/is.

livpotter Wed 12-Dec-18 07:15:51

My ds has a regression at 2.5 and basically lost all of his language, at 3 he had 10-15 words. He would also do this thing where every time he learnt a new word he would stop saying words he used previously. It was like his brain could only cope with a certain amount of language at that point.

His speech started improving at 4. He is now 5 and his vocabulary is much larger but he still mainly speaks in 1-2 word sentences. Now he has started signing with makaton he can also make a five word sentence (I want milk/biscuit etc please mummy) and he is learning more everyday. I would say he had gone from not communicating verbally at all to mainly communicating verbally albeit not to the same level as his peers.

fasparent Sun 16-Dec-18 01:49:26

same issues our child has an aquired brain injury local SEND community disability team put us on a "Total Communications" course lasted around 9 month's was helpful. He is improving all the time, signs quite well, his recovery and outcome is still unknown.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: