Talk

Advanced search

Mandatory reconsideration DLA

(10 Posts)
IntentsAndPorpoises Mon 10-Dec-18 13:58:03

Received outcome of dd's DLA. We've got just the low rate of care. Dd has ASD and does not sleep well, she takes hours to go to sleep and needs someone with her. She wakes at least 3 times a night and is often away for a couple of hours and needs someone with her. She's 6.

Has anyone done mandatory reconsideration have any tips?

Claw001 Tue 11-Dec-18 07:17:25

Cerebra have an excellent guide.

Any care has to be in ‘substantially in excess’ of a child of the same age. You need to list the difficult, what you have to do, how long it take and the consequences if you didn’t.

Night time is defined as when the household shuts down for the night. For example 10.30pm, when you would go to bed.

for example if your daughter goes to bed at 7pm and it takes 2 hours to settle her etc, due to her difficulties. This would count towards day time needs.

If after, your bed time, it takes 2 hours, this would be a nighttime need.

IntentsAndPorpoises Tue 11-Dec-18 13:16:21

Thanks. I used Cerebra to do the form. I did outline her night time needs- waking at least 3 times a night. I think I didn't highlight the long periods of being awake enough, as it was a relatively "good" period when I did form. Now in the run up to Christmas her anxiety is sky high and she is awake for hours at night.

I hate how everything is a fight.

danni0509 Tue 18-Dec-18 19:17:11

@IntentsAndPorpoises it's the evidence that you send in to back up what you say that makes the difference.

What did you send evidence wise? X

IntentsAndPorpoises Tue 18-Dec-18 19:30:05

I sent her report from assessment. It has report by clinical consultant psychologist and speech therapist, with outcomes of DISCO and ADOS.

We don't really have any other evidence. The senco is less useful than a chocolate teapot, dd masks a lot, so she always just says they don't see it at school (they do). She has been referred to OT, but not seen anyone yet.
What else can we use?

danni0509 Thu 20-Dec-18 13:34:03

@IntentsAndPorpoises we just got high rate for ds on renewal, he's been awarded for 7 years this time too.

It took me about 6 weeks to fill the form out I wrote in each box please see additional sheet and I stapled an a4 sized typed up sheet to each page.

I also sent in 2 pead reports 1 of which was only 3 months old and the other was his diagnosis report from last year, also sent a statement from school senco just short and sweet but straight to the point that he has no danger awareness needs constant 1-1 and is a flight risk etc, sent in letters of upcoming appointments with orthotics & speech therapist, we sent copy of ehcp in, his ehcp is pretty shit thanks to our LA but the info in it is relevant and proves what I'm writing on the dla forms is the truth, also sent personal learning plans from school we receive them termly with the terms targets on.

My ds sleep is a joke, last night he had me up 3 hours, it's the third time this week he's decided to do an all nighter. He isn't allowed melatonin for medical reasons either so I'm stuck sad

Have you put in mandatory reconsideration?

IntentsAndPorpoises Thu 20-Dec-18 13:37:20

Yes out in mandatory reconsideration. Our senco is a joke, in fact I've submitted what is essentially a complaint about her today (albeit informal). All she will write is that there are no problems at school. We sint have support plan for school (part of my complaint). She hasn't seen any other professionals yet.

It's exhausting.

taratill Tue 08-Jan-19 14:39:09

I am in the same situation I've just received low rate award for daughter even though she is prescribed melatonin often has to sleep in a bed with either me or her dad as we can't get her to settle any other way. She is 9.

I am about to seek mandatory reconsideration. Sleep issues are not specifically mentioned in any of the formal reports although they have been discussed with her pediatirician who has now prescribed melatonin. I guess I need to ask them for a letter.

Fairylea Tue 08-Jan-19 18:06:48

The difficulty you have may not with the night time need, it may be that the day time needs aren’t evident- to get high rate you need to have substantial day AND night time needs. To get mid rate there must be frequent day time need. I would put money on your issue being the lack of supporting evidence from school to be honest.

Fairylea Tue 08-Jan-19 18:09:57

Sorry that was rather garbled... I mean the issue might not be to do with what you’ve explained about night time care, that might be fine, but without the day time needs as well you won’t get mid or high rate as both these need day time care needs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: