Talk

Advanced search

Christmas with a special needs child

(4 Posts)
Emptyspace Sun 09-Dec-18 16:42:39

I don’t usually post on this board so I hope I’m in the right place and it’s ok to have a moan.

I am a single parent with a sn child and I find Christmas hard especially as my dc has got older. I am generally isolated anyway as I am a full time Carer but I am feeling particularly sensitive as I know family haven’t invited us for Christmas due to dc’s behaviour. We might not have gone anyway but it would have been nice to be invited.

The whole Christmas period is hard as there are so many things we can’t join in, there is no school and we will be stuck in the house for much of the time. If we were to go anywhere, I would be on edge and worried about everyone else. Presents are difficult too as nothing is ever right so I think why bother? I am just dreading it.

Does anyone else feel excluded and even more different at this time of year?

DeloresJaneUmbridge Sun 09-Dec-18 16:52:28

It’s got easier as my DS has got older but yes I feel your pain as it is hard when there is so much more sensory input which some children cannot cope with along with no school which gives them a framework for their day.

Have you got a plan for Xmas at all? I used to have some special stuff to eat and drink which I enjoyed...even if the TV was not available,

I also used to look at holidays I wouldn’t go on but which for some bizarre reason filled me with positive feelings,

Sirzy Sun 09-Dec-18 17:29:26

It’s just another thing to remind you how different things are isn’t it.

I try to be positive about just doing it our way but it’s hard. Ds May be happier not doing things but I want to!

LittleMy77 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:53:12

It's hard. Today, we took DS to see Santa as a local charity had sponsored the early morning slots for kids with additional needs., so extra accommodations were made in terms of less sensory overload etc

As predicted, he refused to go anywhere near him, despite talking about to for 2 days prior, going through a visual story etc, he basically ran screaming round the mall in circles. The rest of the day has been a write off as a result and everyone (DS, me, DH) has had their own tantrum in some way

We're staying with my parents for christmas and I'm dreading it as the change etc for DS is likely to be really unsettling. That plus the usual stuff we'd do to break up the trip (swimming baths etc) are either closed or on reduced hours

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: