Talk

Advanced search

SEND Advocacy

(6 Posts)
rosalux Fri 07-Dec-18 18:10:23

I'm in the process of setting up a Community Interest Company to provide SEND advice and representation to parents and carers. This has arisen from my own experience of obtaining an EHCP for DS1 which was frankly exhausting, and I am a former barrister! I am hoping to get this up and running after next summer (once I've quit my wholly uninspiring job) and am keen to hear from people who have used SEN advocates about what they liked/disliked/what worked well/could work better etc as well as people who might consider using one about what sort of services they would like and what would make them choose an advocate over a solicitor or (I'm guessing cost is a huge factor) or going it alone. Also if anyone has any views/ideas/suggestions they'd like to chip on this topic or tangentially related ones I am more than happy to hear from them.

Karensbadger Sat 08-Dec-18 19:01:00

What do you think you would offer that sossen/ipsea don’t do?

Mark Small was asking similar questions. Just sayin’.

rosalux Thu 13-Dec-18 20:24:14

Both IPSEA and SOS SEN! are amazing charities but neither offer a truly personalised service with local knowledge; at least not local to me. That's the gap I'm intending to fill at a lower price point than solicitors.

TheCuriousMonkey Tue 18-Dec-18 14:45:54

Good idea OP! I am also a barrister and have experienced the nightmare that was securing special provision for my DC. I started setting up something similar as you are suggesting but in the end we had a change of family circumstances and I went back to my job (which I do love). I think there is a gap in the market for people who earn too much for legal aid (most people) but can't afford solicitor's fees. Even non-qualified education advisers seem to charge alot. And as you say, as brilliant as IPSEA and SOSSEN are they can't offer ongoing personalised support.
Feel free to pm me.

Thekidsarefightingagain Tue 18-Dec-18 19:13:15

Happy to be PMd too. Most people can't afford to use a solicitor at £250/hr and I'm not convinced there's a need for them if there are some great advocates about.

rosalux Thu 20-Dec-18 09:29:51

TheCuriousMonkey and Thekidsarefightingagain I have sent PMs to each of you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: