Talk

Advanced search

Homework help please

(4 Posts)
lexxy2793 Wed 05-Dec-18 13:40:40

Someone mentioned I should ask on here to see if there's anyone that can help.

My nearly 7 year old son is in the process of being diagnosed with ADHD and autism. Mentally he is very clever, he can do mental maths and can read but because he is poor at writing and because he won't read his school book (he has to read the school ones to go up levels, even though I am writing what he is reading at home in his diary) he is behind. He's got his SATs this year and I'm looking for any advice to help him do his work at home

Sirzy Wed 05-Dec-18 13:59:19

Which aspects of writing does he struggle with?

I think you need to sit down with his teachers to come up with a plan to best help him.

Stopping all but the maths homework actually helped ds massively as it took away the extra pressure and meant home could be to recharge so he was able to seperate home and school.

LegoAndThings Wed 05-Dec-18 14:11:03

I’d just ignore the school reading books and read what he enjoys. He can still learn to read without going up the school levels - all that matters at the end of the day is that he can actually read.

GruffalosGirl Wed 05-Dec-18 22:07:42

My just turned 10 ds is being assessed for ADHD at the moment and we have no problems with maths, huge problems with literacy and cannot get him to read school books either.

My ds is screen mad so what I have done so far is gone with apps and screen time only happens once work is done.

We have squeebles spelling for his spellings as we add them to the app every Friday and he can record his own voice which he loves. He then has to do them every day first. We do the same with a times table app and the hit the button app. There are no screens allowed until these are done.

Reading I let him read whatever he wants. He will only really read diary of a wimpy kid/Tom gates/13 storey treehouse type books but will read them for ages so bedtime is half 8 but you can read until 9 and this gets him to read every night.

The actual homework is still a nightmare but it has to be done on a Sunday before the Xbox is allowed on, non negotiable, so he will do it. We start with the one he hates the most and finish with maths, which means he does the hardest when he's most motivated. I also bribe him. He has huge problems with accuracy so if when I check it it is perfect first time I will give him £5. It hasn't happened yet. I also sit next to him throughout and physically read out the questions.

Sorry, it's a bit of an essay. Hope it helps

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: