Talk

Advanced search

how much stimming and echolalia is "too much"?

(10 Posts)
whatamidoingnoidea Tue 04-Dec-18 01:08:31

Wondering about ASD in DS, who has just turned 2.

He is academically bright, photographic memory, good language, vocab and fact retention for his age. He does spontaneous speech fine, commenting on all sorts of stuff. In non-stressful environments he seems like a bright but introverted toddler, with the usual toddler distribution of great personal charm and fierce feralness.

However, most of his language is phrases that have been said to him. When he comments on something he uses the same phrase nearly every time. That might be just how he learns language - he seems very good at remembering things. But i'm beginning to wonder whether it's actually beginning to look more like echolalia. He does do some echolalia when he's stressed or tired - he is a very poor sleeper and so is frequently tired during the day; he is often stressed at playgroup on rainy days when other children are noisy and in his face.

Likewise stimming - he loves things that spin, and will comment on air conditioner fans and want to go and see if they're on or off, anemometers on weather stations, windmills, gear sets, etc. OK, so he likes things that spin, likes wheels and pulleys etc. - might be heading for a career in engineering and nothing more. Sometimes he will "be a fan" and wave his arms around. THat all looks like toddler behaviour to me. But he does also stim in loud, overstimulating environments like our local pool, where he will wave his hand in front of his mouth, or in and out of the fountain in the toddler pool, and he gets terribly upset if we move him to do something else.

Local GP knows nothing about all this and claims that children cannot be diagnosed before school age and suggests that I go on antidepressants, in response to me raising this. I said "no, M-CHAT-R/F is actually FOR toddler diagnosis" and got told I was probably depressed due to sleep deprivation and thinking about all this too much, and the cure is to stop breastfeeding, sleep train, and send him to nursery so I get a break, as well as taking antidepressants. Yes I'd like a break and some more sleep, but that's tangential to the issue here, which is DS' behaviours.

whatamidoingnoidea Tue 04-Dec-18 04:24:31

(Sorry, got distracted. The point about the GP being a bit useless is that getting a referral for diagnosis is going to be a battle, so I'd want to think it was the right thing to do)

openupmyeagereyes Tue 04-Dec-18 06:13:33

Is there a speech and language drop in clinic you can attend and discuss your concerns with a therapist there? In my area they have several per month at different health centres. Our route to assessment was through this, the GP was not involved at all. Is his 27 month check scheduled? This may also highlight any other developmental issues if there are any. It did for us.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 04-Dec-18 07:21:03

fucking ignorant twat.

see another GP.

livpotter Tue 04-Dec-18 07:45:27

I second blackeyedgruesome! Your GP is talking nonsense.

We got referred through our Health Visitor.

Claw001 Tue 04-Dec-18 09:10:33

We were referred through HV too.

SpringerLink Tue 04-Dec-18 10:50:20

I'd second the speech and language drop ins. Speech Therapists are much more attuned to ASD traits and can make a referral. In some areas you can also self-refer to a paediatrician. After a huge battle to get my eldest referred, I was advised by the pead to self-refer for a younger child.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 04-Dec-18 11:49:33

I could not remember what I posted and was coming on to see how polite I had been as I was particularly grumpy as my phone is saying it will take 7 days to charge. (bastard wiley fox)

I see I was not so polite, but I stand by it.

we have had a Gp say ds does not look autistic. (he is diagnosed) and a pead say dd does not. (yep, but she was sitting in the waiting room ., on my knee flapping and clapping at c beebies. other secondary age child in the waiting room was on her phone ignoring her mum)

LightTripper Tue 04-Dec-18 12:38:09

I agree your GP sounds terrible, and second the idea of looking for how to access Speech and Language service.

Your DS sounds a bit like my DD who is diagnosed (now 4.5) and learned a lot of her language this way (not so into fans and spinning particularly but definitely has pet topics she is very focused on). She now speaks very naturally I think but in assessments we are told it's still a bit formal.

The main benefit of a Dx is greater understanding of your son which it sounds like you actually already have in spades. But I think it can also be helpful in getting support at school if he needs it later, so could be worth looking into. If you Google your local authority name and "Speech and Language Services Children" or "SLT Early Years" and variants on those you should find something about how young children can access some SLT advice in your area.

whatamidoingnoidea Fri 07-Dec-18 00:52:03

saw a different GP, got a referral; but have now bypassed that and begging the local hospital paediatricians to see DS as the stimming is now accompanied by stuttering/stammering, toe walking, and a loss of coordination generally. It looks like a classic autistic regression.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: