Talk

Advanced search

so, school can not see any problems regarding autism.

(32 Posts)
BlackeyedGruesome Mon 19-Nov-18 18:14:26

did anyone else have that issue and did they get a diagnosis?

every single box they wrote refuting what I had written.

I have Y6 IEP to show that they saw a problem there.

SpringerLink Mon 19-Nov-18 21:47:24

Yes, I went through this for a couple of years. DS was finally referred in Yr4 and diagnosed in the summer before Yr5. Will DM you, but feel free to DM me more details (eg age and issues) and I can see if I’ve got any advice or have faced the same problems.

In the end, I discovered that you can self-refer for assessment in my health authority if you want to see a paediatrician. I asked this at DS’s assessment because I have another, younger DC that I (and other family members) think has ASD but I didn’t think school would refer us.

BlackeyedGruesome Mon 19-Nov-18 22:41:45

we are filling in the sodding forms. I have had schools back today. they have circled no where I have circled yes. apparetnly there are hardly any problems at school.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 20-Nov-18 06:41:18

Is it things they wouldn't see because it's a secondary school?

That's a problem with closed questions. There's nowhere to actually ask people to describe how a child deals with certain situations. No chance to explain how much a child engages in class or puts their hand up etc.

Sirzy Tue 20-Nov-18 07:06:30

Is it primary school or secondary? If the y6 IEP snowed issue then I would make an appointment to chat to the senco and ask for the reason behind the discrepancy

If he has now moved to secondary I would be wondering now much time the person filling it in has spent with him in half a term!

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 20-Nov-18 07:21:52

she has been there over a year. and masks

note her sex. possibly autistic girl. adept at masking. she is quiet, and clever. She has told me that she is having issues understanding.

there are little glimpses, but she is on a two week timetable, teachers often share the subject, she may only see teachers once a week, or some once a fortnight.

they have ticked twice against the number of accidents that I listed on the form. previously they have dismissed this as just clumsy.

taratill Tue 20-Nov-18 18:43:44

Yes 2 children a boy and a girl.

Girl is 9 and was diagnosed today. School was convinced there is nothing wrong but she scored 12 points over the autism threshold on the ADOS test.

I ended up personally requesting interventions for SALT and for OT and she has been having interventions from both (NHS services) for a number of months.

School just saw a shy slightly anxious child.

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Tue 20-Nov-18 19:14:36

School were totally adamant the only issue was my parenting. Some teachers saw it, some didn't, some just thought he was naughty. We were still under a HV for the younger DC, and she'd been very helpful with parenting advice earlier which was all on record, so she had a word with someone which ensured we actually saw CAMHS - who at the time were diagnosing - as school seemed to be trying to block the referral we had got from the GP (who saw the issue as well) Within minutes of seeing the psychologist he declared DC definitely had ASD and he would test him for a definitive answer.

School were also convinced DC2 didn't need a diagnosis, "lost" forms, filled them out for DC1 not DC2, refused to take guidance from the consultant etc. They are just a bit shit, overworked and undersupported and very keen on managing out SN kids

Even the brilliant school they went onto has dropped a few clangers over the years but never to the same extent.

fleshmarketclose Tue 20-Nov-18 19:23:01

Secondary school couldn't recognise dd's autism even though she had a diagnosis from being age two.They had a very stereotypical idea of autism and my friendly, kind, intelligent, well behaved daughter didn't fit their stereotypes.

Carpetglasssofa Tue 20-Nov-18 19:26:26

Masking in school is incredibly common, especially in girls. That shouldn't stand in the way of diagnosis.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 20-Nov-18 21:23:57

well I have just walked out of theliving room to find her with ds's bag on her head... "I can't see anything in the bottom of the bag" literally an upright child with an upturned bag like some peculiar guards busby hat.

she has cried and stropped off when dad could not get a ticket for her performance and called me mummy and held my hand and hugged me in front of half a younger year group.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 20-Nov-18 21:24:55

me walk out the living room, look startled, hear a voice saying I can't see anything in here, walk back in the living room to tell you lot.

1805 Tue 20-Nov-18 22:23:30

Yep. Secondary school was just "It's a home problem". The 'problem' was that she school refused. My fault obviously. Dd was diagnosed ASD 5 years ago. sigh.
OP - keep on telling school. Explain to them how autism works. Explain how it works for girls.
Don't be afraid to state what you want for your dc. Good luck.

xxlostxx Wed 21-Nov-18 00:45:36

The trouble is they don't want to hear anything other than their stereotypical view of what autism is do they? Most teachers have no experience or knowledge of it, especially in girls who have mastered masking. And being teachers they think they have seen it all!

Also, in secondary you are very much just a number of all the many other kids/all the different year groups. I am really hoping my dd has a diagnosis by then but I know realistically it won't make much difference if any at all anway. I would just hope that a diagnosis will bring a bit more understanding.

My dd (nearly 10) has had autistic traits since toddler yrs. School not seeing it but it is becoming blindingly obvious now the gap is widening between dd and her peers, emotionally and socially.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 21-Nov-18 10:09:46

just re-read the form. there are little hints in there, not as good as making friends, quiet, prefers to work away from others in one noisy lesson, uses the sen room, not as street wise as peers,

school have mne marked as a trouble maker, what with trying to make sure they meet her needs,

emails to ask for support for anxiety, emails saying she is having accidents in school, asking for support, then emails asking for work when she is off, emails asking for staff to contact me to arrange her return to school, then they threw a wobbly aboout her being off, caused by eiither accident or anxiety (different drs, different views) and not getting an education. Wellm I tried to prevent it, tried to get work, tried to get adaptions for her to return yet it is still my fault, oh and now there is a concern I am making things worse and taking ehr to too many bloody appointments.

aaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 21-Nov-18 10:11:05

the gap widened here from about age 9 and it could no longer be dismissed as quirky/gifted

youarenotkiddingme Wed 21-Nov-18 17:34:51

O also got the exact same words 1809. Wonder if it's same school and same senco?!

The school also had a very stereotypical view but mainly in the "we have expertise in asd" and "this is what asd children need" way.

I mean - forget what ds actually needs as an individual hmm

BlackeyedGruesome Thu 22-Nov-18 07:36:40

the old head teaher gave the same talk to me (parent of asd child) and another parent (dyslexia) just swapped the name of the condition

Miscible Thu 22-Nov-18 07:45:29

Masking is such a common problem, it really ought to be a part of teacher training. It might be worth printing off material from the NAS and elsewhere about this and sending it in to the school.

BlackeyedGruesome Thu 22-Nov-18 08:06:26

vicar youth leader has written for me as well. as a second (or third) setting.

today is the day the forms og in

livingdownsouth Thu 22-Nov-18 16:05:25

My DD was diagnosed just over 2 years ago (aged 8). With no support from school at all. I went to my GP and asked for a referral. School had me down as one of those parents, senco wouldn't even acknowledge receiving info I sent her on girls masking in school. We moved and her new school have been brilliant with her. I don't doubt she's still masking in school but the difference in her at home because she is an school that understands autism in girls is immeasurable. Keep going X

BlackeyedGruesome Thu 22-Nov-18 18:02:33

thanks. forms have been delivered.

now all we have to do is wait and not have a complete utter mega stress at having to wait.

Flobalob Mon 26-Nov-18 00:47:08

Been there with my girl. School made me feel like I was imagining it all. They denied everything! She was diagnosed.
Now going through the same with my boy. Same school.

Claw001 Mon 26-Nov-18 07:49:03

it’s very common for kids to hold together in school. It’s also very common for difficulties to be missed by school, in a large class, particularly if your child is quieter pupil. They are not experts in ASD.

We had similar, school actually went beyond the box ticking form sent to them and made phone calls opposing a diagnosis!

However, when my son was assessed for ASD, it was glaringly obvious.

Who is doing the diagnosis process?

BlackeyedGruesome Mon 26-Nov-18 10:15:13

bloody hell claw, that is some opposition.

flonbalob, yep, that pretty much sums it up.

who is diagnosing? well not school thankfully. neurodevelopment team, by-passing paed if there are no medical issues. there are medical issues. several pages of appointments. (please include any contact with medical professionals...)

the vicar can see unusualness, as can GP family member. Vicar is best as they are independent... and one would assume answering to a higher power

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: