Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How quickly does casein break down?

(7 Posts)
Ellie4 Thu 08-Jul-10 23:41:36

Does anyone know how quickly casein breaks down in urine? We did the urine test from Sunderland last year and it came back -ve for casein and +ve for gluten. Since we've done the test I have read that casein breaks down quickly therefore the results are not that accurate. Our sample was not sent quickly so I am wondering if it is worth redoing the test.
I was thinking of getting the sample early, freezing then getting it in the evening post to hopefully get to sunderland by the morning. Would this be quick enough if it all goes to plan?
DS is borderline/mild ASD and we have tried CF diet twice for a month each time and there was no definite difference but you know how it is you wonder if something would make a difference.
Thanks

SanctiMoanyArse Fri 09-Jul-10 09:38:00

I have casein intolerance and IME symptoms of it (stomach pain, diarrhoea, headache, spaced out confusion) disappear withing maybe 4 - 5hours of having casein.

Ellie4 Sat 10-Jul-10 22:11:09

bump
DS doesn't seem to have casein intolerence but I still wonder if it could be having an effect. Just wondering if its worth doing the test or if the casein could be broken down before its tested anyhow therefore would have to do the diet again to see if it helps. I read on the AIA info that it can be broken down quickly but it didn't state how quick.
Thanks

nappyaddict Thu 02-Dec-10 09:45:01

Is this the test from Sunderland? I heard you were supposed to freeze it then you send it in an insulated jiffy bag that they send you and this is supposed to stop the casein from breaking down. Did you not do this with your test?

silverfrog Thu 02-Dec-10 09:52:42

did you not freeze your sample to send to Sunderland?

we did, but this was a few years ago now, so maybe the protocol has changed.

I can't remember if there were specific instructions on when to collect the sample (so as to have maximum breakdown by-products) - I think the advice was to just ahve a normal diet, and take it form there.

we had huge issues collecting a sample from dd1, though, so were happy to get anything grin, and may have had to forego optimum collection times in favour of getting any sample at all!

FWIW, dd1 came back negative for casein too, although it definitey does have an effect with her. dh is casein intolerant though (found out late in life, having researched symptoms for dd1!), as is dd2. so maybe she is intolerant in the same way they are, rather than in an incomplete breakdown opiate-byproduct way?

Ellie4 Thu 02-Dec-10 18:13:40

This was the Sunderland test. We did freeze it but we don't live in the UK so it would have taken a few days to get it couriered over by which time it would have defrosted.

nappyaddict Fri 03-Dec-10 15:38:49

Ah I see

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: