Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Entered dd1 for baby of the year

(22 Posts)
eidsvold Thu 18-Aug-05 04:45:28

Am I mad?

I have entered both dds - the prizemoney would be fab towards their education or things they may need in the future.

It is sponsored by Johnsons... and I thought I would challenge them to see their response to a child with down syndrome.

You have to attach a photo, buy some products and state in no more than 50 words your hopes and aspirations for them.

This is what I wrote for dd1 ( who has down syndrome)

I hope dd1 becomes a young woman of fine character - loyal, honest, hard working, tolerant, compassionate and empathic. I wish for dd1 the love and warmth of family and good friends.

I hope dd1 will live in a world where she will judge and be judged on her character rather than her appearance.

Okay still in the editing stages BUT what do you think.

I wanted to borrow from MLK - his line about 'My children will grow up in a world where they will be judged on the contect of their character rather than the colour of their skin.' ( or words to that effect)

I wanted to say - my hope for dd1 is that she will be judged on the content of her character than her appearance.

I also wanted to say something along the lines of living in a society that embraces, clebrates and welcomes differences rather than being frightened and prejudiced by them.

Am sending in the pic of her at the zoo on her birthday. here

Okay - I will stop rambling.

eidsvold Thu 18-Aug-05 12:12:47

what about this?!?!?

I hope dd1 becomes a woman of fine character – loyal, honest, diligent, tolerant and compassionate. I hope that she will live in a world that embraces and celebrates differences rather than being frightened of and prejudiced towards them. May she achieve her heart’s desires no matter how great or small.

crumpet Thu 18-Aug-05 12:18:53

Hi Eidsvold, we've not "spoken" before so hope you don't mind my butting in. I did like the "judged on character rather than appearance" part, but overall the second draft is better.
Loved the pic. My dd is 3 soon, and I know what you mean about no longer being a baby...

eidsvold Thu 18-Aug-05 12:20:23

no feel free - am trying this on all my friends... thought I would give it a go and see what happens.

starlover Thu 18-Aug-05 12:21:30

agree with crumpet... like the second version

littleredcorvette Thu 18-Aug-05 12:33:17

Another one in agreement - I prefer the second version.

potty1 Thu 18-Aug-05 12:35:05

Like the second version too eidsvold but like the bit in your first one about family and good friends.

Good luck with it.

MandM Thu 18-Aug-05 12:53:50

Eidsvold - all of your sentiments are beautiful. I liked your version two, but agree with Potty that the family and good friends part was lovely. I had a little play around to see if I could get each of the bits that everyone liked into 50 words (I hope you don't mind ). Anyway, I managed it in 49!!! Here it is:

May dd1 grow to be loyal, honest, tolerant and compassionate, surrounded by the love and warmth of family and good friends.
May she live in a world that judges on character rather than appearance; a world that celebrates, rather than fears, differences.
May she achieve all her heart desires.

Davros Thu 18-Aug-05 20:12:36

Haven't got time to read this, but sounds great, good luck Eidsvold!

Charlee Thu 18-Aug-05 20:16:22

I think thats beautiful hope eidvold, just looked at your picture your dd is beautiful, i hope they are sensible enough to judge her fairly. good luck x

Jimjams Thu 18-Aug-05 20:29:45

aww gorgeous eidsvold. Good luck!

happymerryberries Thu 18-Aug-05 20:31:58

Fab picture!

As you said, she is growing up so fast! Our babies! Where have they all gone ???

Merlot Thu 18-Aug-05 20:38:23

Lovely picture and Good Luck Eidsvold.

I loved MandM's draft. Thought it said it all really

anniebear Thu 18-Aug-05 21:04:51

Shes gorgeous and its lovely what you have written

xxxx

eidsvold Thu 18-Aug-05 23:29:25

thanks so much MandM - that is all I wanted to say - so succinctly. Sometimes hard to concentrate and get things sorted when you have two screaming monkeys!!

coppertop Fri 19-Aug-05 09:12:50

Awww! I feel all teary-eyed reading the different drafts. Good luck to both dds.

MandM Fri 19-Aug-05 12:36:38

Glad you liked it Eidsvold . I wouldn't have been able to do it at home either, but it's lovely in quite here at work!

Good luck to both of your gorgeous dd's. I absolutely loved the zoo picture, she seems to have grown up so quickly!

BTW, there's an SN mum locally that I know through our dds (her dd2, 18 months, has DS). She recently entered both of her dds into the local paper's Baby of the Year contest. Neither of them actually won, but the photos were gorgeous and she said that she would never even consider entering one without the other.

I've just taken a couple of really cute (IMO ) pictures of dd, so I'm going to try and get them on a disc over the weekend and I'll post them on the Member Profile board next week.

MandM Fri 19-Aug-05 12:38:00

"in quite"?????

and quiet

maddiemo Fri 19-Aug-05 12:56:26

She looks lovely

biglips Fri 19-Aug-05 12:58:09

gud luck and thats a lovely picture

Christie Fri 19-Aug-05 14:38:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chonky Fri 19-Aug-05 15:02:28

I think M&M's draft is great, and the pic is gorgeous

Good luck eidsvold, and let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now