Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just come back from a lovely break in Lytham St Annes ....

(8 Posts)
dottee Thu 11-Aug-05 15:51:48

... and I want to let you all know where we stayed. It's here and it was homely and welcoming. Anna, the owner, has a child with special needs so she understands the needs of SN children. The hotel has been risk assessed by a nearby special school and it has equipment such as a hoist over the bath and a wheel-in shower.

It's in a peaceful, quiet suburban street although is situated about 400 yards from the main shopping area of St Annes. So when my dd preferred to read her books or sleep in the bedroom, I took turns with my mum to pop out for half an hour to look around the shops etc.

It's just b & b accommodation but you're allowed to bring in takeaways to eat in the dining room (the owners understand the difficulties in dining out sometimes). I promised Anna I'd out the word out in all the directions I know and I certainly want to return one day.

Anna welcomes any telephone enquiries. She is wary of any children who may 'headbang' purely for their safety as the hotel has lovely stained glass windows in the hallway, and it is a non-smoking hotel. However, it has a nice airy lounge leading to a conservatory with childrens books, videos, a pool table etc and a lovely outside play area with quite a lot of play equipment including a swing for SN children. It is very family orientated with lots of photos (and certificates of achievement) of all their children all around the place.

St Annes is not as crowded as Blackpool (far from it) but is still handy for the lights.

jenk1 Thu 11-Aug-05 21:06:48

i went to st annes about 3 weeks ago-we love it ds has AS and its a lot quieter than blackpool which is too much-will check out the hotel next time

anniebear Fri 12-Aug-05 08:04:30

thats brilliant dottee, glad you had such a good time

coppertop Fri 12-Aug-05 09:03:32

It sounds like a lovely place - especially with the handy shops.

heartinthecountry Fri 12-Aug-05 09:58:41

Thanks dottee - am going to keep these details to put on my website if/when it gets running. Exactly the kind of thing I want to include... inside tips on great places for kids with SN.

dottee Fri 12-Aug-05 10:10:42

And pubs CT!!! For example, there's a Wetherspoons with a nice beer garden on the next street and restaurants/cafes of all nationalities.

I saw a few other groups of young people with learning disabilities with their carers. It's a 'traditional' sea-side place aimed possibly at older people but that makes it 'quieter' and more tolerant in general.

coppertop Fri 12-Aug-05 16:24:46

Trust you to find out where all the pubs were.

dottee Fri 12-Aug-05 16:42:01

Can't p*ing drink at the moment - on tablets! And I'm gagging for it (alcohol that is brought on by the strains of summer holidays!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: