Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

We've got the splint - need advice

(5 Posts)
fairydust Tue 09-Aug-05 20:07:43

Isla had her fitting for the splint (knee high) today it's a lovely butterfly and flowers design

That's the only thing good about it

Now we we're expecting to feel unusual to her to start with, but she's actually been crying with pain from it.
When they fitted it at the hospital it made her walking worse, but we we're told that would improve with time but i hate to see my little girl inso much pain
It's not as if she can wear it for a few hrs a day - we're talking full days all the time.
I'm dreading putting it on in the morning as she still has red marks on her feet.

Can offer any advice how i can make it more bareabl for her?

fairydust Tue 09-Aug-05 20:32:39

bump please

Blossomhill Tue 09-Aug-05 20:33:42

Sorry Fairydust but what exactly are splints for? I have heard people talk about them but not exactly sure what they are.

Fio2 Tue 09-Aug-05 20:50:26

put very thick socks underneath

though fairydust i dont know what they have told you, but my dd wears orthotic stuff and we are always told to 'wear them in" ie. start off with an hour then increase when you feel is ready

chatee Wed 10-Aug-05 08:29:44

build up gradually over a week- it's not going to harm as it's a new orthotic for your dd to get used too.
our physio says that if the red marks on the skin last longer than 5-10 mins then there is a problem and to get in touch(they would prefer that than for your dd to suffer- even it's only a quick 5 minute check up)
about the flowers and butterfly design

must go as dh has just informed me dd has a swollen ankle and can't get her afo on- oops she was walking around without them yesterday as she was at a friends house having a paddling pool party

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now