Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Quick question on pointing

(16 Posts)
madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:11:01

(Sorry I know this must have been covered so many times but I couldnt see anything and Im crap at searches)

How old?, is there a very specific age, or can it vary widely?

I am asking after visiting a friend with an 8 months old, I might be way off here but something didnt seem quite right but Im not sure what.

Saker Tue 09-Aug-05 11:13:23

Children generally start pointing around age 1 but it isn't really cause for concern if not unless they are still not pointing by 18months. By this time they should be pointing out things of interest as well as pointing to things they want.

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:13:58

Sorry I meant 18 months

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:15:30

There is no pointing, little movent or sound. Next check isnt while 2yrs.

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:15:54

Sorry that should say movement.

Bethron Tue 09-Aug-05 11:17:04

Message withdrawn

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:19:44

Just happy to sit on knee for long periods of time, doesnt crawl much and only stands himself up for a few seconds with no apparent interest in getting any further.

Jimjams Tue 09-Aug-05 11:21:58

Unfortunately if the mum isn't worried there isn't much you can do. Yet another case indicating the need for the CHAT test to be introduced nationally at 18 months. grr grr grr.

Bethron Tue 09-Aug-05 11:22:49

Message withdrawn

Bethron Tue 09-Aug-05 11:23:33

Message withdrawn

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:28:18

Its a difficult one because I dont really have that sort of relationship where I could say something and know that it would be received in the right way IYSWIM.

We do have a mutual friend, but she doesnt have kids etc etc.. it is really awkward. I have been thinking this for last couple of weeks and dont know what to do. She doesnt have much family and no kids there either.

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:30:04

Do you think I should just leave it? I would hate to say something and get it wrong. Would 6 months make a difference if there was something not quite right?

Jimjams Tue 09-Aug-05 11:34:51

I wouldn't say anything because unless she pushes she won't get anywhere with the system at this age- you'll be shot as the messenger. Unfortunately unless the parents are very switched on and push you get nowhere. I thought there were problems with ds1 at this age, but my attempts to alert others got me nowhere. Of course now I know I should have been more insistent.

Jimjams Tue 09-Aug-05 11:38:53

you see they'll say "oh all children develop at different rates" and as you don't actually want anything to be wrong with your child you accept that (although the relief is, ime, short lived).

Unless as a parent you can reply "actually here is the CHAT test, he fails so I want a referral to a developmental paediatrician please" then you get nowhere. Of course if there's anything wrong with ds3 that's exactly what I'll do (its what I'll do if he's not pointing at 18 months) - but I think that's very hard to do first time round. And unless she already has concerns herself then I doubt you'll get very far.

However when I start a national campign for the CHAT test at 18 months (I do intend to do something), then you are more than welcome to join us!

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:39:38

That must have been so frustrating for you.

I guess I must take your advice for now.

madmarchhare Tue 09-Aug-05 11:41:33

Ooops cross posts! Have just been reading up on CHAT. What you thinking of?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now