Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Only a mother could love him - has anyone read it?

(6 Posts)
essbee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:15:31

Message withdrawn

lynny70 Sun 07-Aug-05 22:22:33

Message deleted

essbee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:38:29

Message withdrawn

Chocol8 Sun 07-Aug-05 23:38:06

Ooh thanks for that Essbee - I have just ordered that book and another one for children about ADHD. This may (i'm hoping) help my ds who is ADHD/AS.

I bought a book from the SN Conference last year called "What is Asperger syndrome, and how will it affect me? A guide for young people" from the NAS. It looks great and I think that soon I will have to start reading it with ds as he's nearly 8 and beginning to realise he is special.

I'll let you know what the book's like.

essbee Sun 07-Aug-05 23:41:01

Message withdrawn

Chocol8 Mon 08-Aug-05 23:12:17

Hi Essbee - that's interesting, in which ways does my ds sound like your ds? I am having real problems with him at the moment, I hope you're not experiencing the same things....

I began to read the booklet I mentioned yesterday about AS, and he was very interested in it. He could see a lot of parallels between the book and himself. We cuddled up and discussed each paragraph - about social communication etc. When I read to him that body language and faces can say alot more than words, he didn't understand, so I pulled some faces - the first one was angry (reeeealllly angry), he just couldn't read it at all!

I did a happy, sad and surprised face and he guessed them straight away so I did the angry face again but he just didn't get it.

The thing that's worrying me at the moment are the panic attacks - he gets so easily stressed, cries (and exceptionally noisy) and worries about every tiny thing - a tiny cut, a scarey thing on the telly or the radio, that there is not enough petrol in the car, that something doesn't work, that someone may come and bomb our house, that the house will catch fire....etc.

These are real worries to him, but I feel that by the time he gets back to school, he will be seen as completely neurotic. It is escalating at such a fast rate and almost seems to get worse each day!

How is your ds - do you seem to be experiencing different behaviour during the holidays - or is it just me???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now