Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Left/right handedness in children with ASD - is it usually clear cut?

(13 Posts)
Socci Fri 05-Aug-05 21:44:57

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Fri 05-Aug-05 21:46:36

Maybe she's ambidextrous. A lot of 'left-handed' people are. I write left-handed, but can eat w/either hand and swing a racket, hold a bat, and use scissors right-handed.

Our DD has GDD and still swaps hands a lot.

spursmum Fri 05-Aug-05 21:48:30

I know what you mean!! My ds will use whatever hand is closest to what he's doing, he will even change hands mid-task!! Think it is just a delay in motor skills rather than anything with the ASD but my ds has only been diagnosed in the last 6 weeks so I may be wrong!!

Socci Fri 05-Aug-05 23:33:57

Message withdrawn

Davros Sat 06-Aug-05 08:20:29

My DS uses both hands and doesn't particularly favour one over the other. His motor skills, fine and gross, are extremely good and he is well co-ordinated so I think its related to ASD.

coppertop Sun 07-Aug-05 13:37:57

Ds1 used both for a long time. It was only when the sensitivity of his hands lessened that he became obviously right-handed. I suppose if you can only use your fingertips you need the strength of both hands.

Ds2 has always been left-handed. The first time I ever saw him use the right hand was at his assessment - 30 seconds after telling the OT that he always used his left hand!

macwoozy Sun 07-Aug-05 20:45:56

My ds always uses his left hand. Always has. His fine motor skills have always been delayed, at 5 he still doesn't write his name properly. I'm sure I read somewhere that majority of ASD children use left.

Littlestarsweeper Sun 07-Aug-05 20:47:54

thicko alert. whats ASD stand for?

expatinscotland Sun 07-Aug-05 20:48:29

Autism Spectral Disorder

Frizbe Sun 07-Aug-05 20:49:37

If its any help soci I still use both of my hands to do an assortment of things, and I'm 31 now!

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 12:30:43

DS cant decide whether he is left or right handed.
We are doing some excercises at the moment where we are concentrating on crossing his midline, although Im not convinced they are working we are having a go in the hope that it will help him.

Davros Mon 08-Aug-05 19:58:36

Is that Brain Gym Jaysmummy? Maybe that would help?

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 22:27:38

Its slighty different to Brain Gym. Bigger movements and for a shorter period of time.

Typical excercise.

Bean bag in left hand thrown across the body into a bucket placed to the right of the body.

(only in our case bean bag ends up in the mouth and hasnt made it into the bucket......YET!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now