Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Wheelchairs on the beach

(8 Posts)
RoseAnne Thu 04-Aug-05 15:42:12

Can anyone recommend ways of pushing a wheelchair across a beach? We're about to go on holiday with my parents and my father uses a manual wheelchair.

katymac Thu 04-Aug-05 15:50:46

At Great Yarmouth you can borrow (or hire) a wheelchair that is good on the sand.....not sure of any details tho' - sorry

katymac Thu 04-Aug-05 15:53:54

look here

RoseAnne Thu 04-Aug-05 17:22:21

Thanks katymac This has started me off on a hunt around the Internet. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Beach Wheelchair.
Really grateful for your help!

katymac Thu 04-Aug-05 17:23:46

i think you can buy them - but they are expensive, look on ebay?

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 17:52:14

otherwise you have to drag backwards which would be impossible with a full grown adult

leesax Fri 19-Aug-05 20:35:37

Yes it would be difficult, we have not long come back from holiday where I had to pull my daughters wheelchair backwards over the sand, and that was really hard and she is only 4 1/2 ( and very small for her age)!

FeelingOld Fri 19-Aug-05 20:48:00

We were recently in Great Yarmouth visiting relatives and the wheelchairs are the same as normal ones except they have big plastic wheels I would say about 12 inches in diameter (or maybe bigger) and about 6 inches wide. Didn't see anyone using them though so no idea how hard they would be to push.
When we take my dad on holiday we can never fit his wheelchair in with all of the luggage so we contact the local tourist information centre and they can usually help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now