Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Pleasea dvise me...I have the lady from SS OT dept coming in an hour

(24 Posts)
Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:25:53

what will she do?

no-one has really explained anything. Do i have to tidy the WHOLE house?

Blossomhill Thu 04-Aug-05 09:27:07

Not sure tbh Fio. I would give it a quick going over but nothing to over the top. Good luck

suzywong Thu 04-Aug-05 09:27:16

yes
and have a bath and shave your beard

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:28:24

HA! have already done that suzy

geekgrrl Thu 04-Aug-05 09:29:55

what's OT fio? (All I can think of is occupational therapy)
I'm waiting for my SS visit - am hoping for some direct payments. She's due anytime now!
House is reasonably tidy downstairs.

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:31:30

yes it occupational therapy

<still confused>

I can only imagine it is to do with equiptment, but I still have no idea what she is going to do

good luck with your visit geegrrl

geekgrrl Thu 04-Aug-05 09:33:38

oh ok. What stuff are you after? Or don't you know, either?

I'm so nervous. We live in a posh house and I'm worried she'll think I'm trying it on or something.

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:37:30

they wont think you are trying it on. my friend is quite well off and SS have funded carers to go in twice a day

I have no idea why they are coming, it was out of the blue that they rang and as you know you usually have to NAG for everything!

ScummyMummy Thu 04-Aug-05 09:40:41

Er... think they might have a look at most of the house! Unless they are not adaptation bods? Sorry I'm a bit hazy on this Fio but I've come across two broad types of O.T. who work with people with disabilities- one kind look at physical function and provide gadgets/advice to improve things- eg providing a ramp for a person who uses a wheelchair or a special bendy spoon for someone who finds it hard to get a normal spoon to their mouth or lockable windows for people not aware of safety issues. The other kind provide activities and counselling to help with specific problems- e.g. a lot of the sensory stuff that people who've been to bibic talk about is classic OT. That's the sum total of my knowledge! I wonder if we have any O.T.s on mumsnet to provide a fuller explanation? You'll know soon anyway, i guess. Good luck. Hope he/she has good things to offer you and dd.

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:45:01

omg, i better get cleaning

chonky Thu 04-Aug-05 09:45:56

Good luck Fio - I hope it goes well

ScummyMummy Thu 04-Aug-05 09:50:05

Arrgh! Don't go overboard... They'll probably spend the whole time getting to know about dd's needs on a first visit.

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:53:09

dd isnt here either, will that make any difference?

because I actually have some respite. ds's nursery offered for her to go there for free (as a favour bless them) and I just pay the 1-2-1 her wages. 2 mornings a week, isnt that fab scummy

JiminyCricket Thu 04-Aug-05 10:03:20

I'm an Ot (but not the same kind - I'm in mental health) but the descriptions sound about right, depending on what they want to assess (e.g. your little ones functioning/accessibility of house/need for specific equipment and adaptations/talk about costs etc) sure they won't care about mess but I know I'd have to tidy up anyway! Hope you get a nice one

coppertop Thu 04-Aug-05 10:09:17

No idea about the OT stuff but good luck!!

I should be tidying up too. Ds2's portage worker is visiting later today and the house is a mess.

Dingle Thu 04-Aug-05 10:45:13

WE had a SS OT visit a while back. She was lovely and I sat and chatted about all sorts of problems I was having. She sent out further referrals for us, because really it was paed OT we needed.

They offered help with stair rails, grab rails for the toilet....

if you needed things like hoists for the bed/bath, ramps....

Good luck Fio, I hope it goes well!

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:36:59

she was lovely!

we are having all stair rails and grab rails, both cloakrooms are having toilet stands and half steps and a step sytem and grab rail into the bath

we also talked about if we wanted to do adaptations to the house that we could apply for a grant and gave me the details of that. but glad you came on scummy and I cleaned the house she looked everywhere!

hope its going well geek grrl

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:43:39

oh and she said my house reminded her of Mary poppins <confused>

suzywong Thu 04-Aug-05 12:44:28

did she appreciate your trimmed beard though?

Dingle Thu 04-Aug-05 12:45:09

Glad it all went OK Fio.

geekgrrl Thu 04-Aug-05 13:13:34

it went ok I think. she's going to talk to her line manager and see whether she can sort out a few hours' worth of direct payments a week. She made a point of telling me what lovely children I have.

Dd2 and ds very obligingly had a big toddler-bust-up over a pushchair - I really could do with some help in the afternoons because they just wind each other up so much (but are inseparable) so that was good.

ScummyMummy Thu 04-Aug-05 13:46:06

Oh good, fio. Glad she was lovely.
Hlope you get what you need too, geekgirl.

Davros Thu 04-Aug-05 15:56:55

Oi Fio, BOTH cloakrooms??? Plenty of room to shave then
Sounds like you both had quite good experiences (fingers crossed emoticon)

Fio2 Thu 04-Aug-05 15:59:20

yes my three toilets keep me busy all week
sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now