Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cranial massage, anyone tried it?

(39 Posts)
Blossomhill Wed 03-Aug-05 17:59:47

Got dd booked in on Monday with a really good guy in Chessington. Anyone taken their child to cranial?

jenkins88 Wed 03-Aug-05 18:20:22

Not yet, but must get around to it. I keep putting if off because he doesn't like close contact with people unless it's on his terms, so it might be a waste of time for us.

Hope it goes well

Blossomhill Wed 03-Aug-05 18:25:43

Thanks Jenkins. The guy we are seeing is so relaxed. He works round the child. So if your child likes a certain video take that and they put it on, or they can play with the toys, draw or whatever makes them relaxed

jenkins88 Wed 03-Aug-05 18:57:31

That sounds good. I really don't know if it would work though as it takes me and DP all our strength just to pin him down and cut his toe-nails.

Let me know how it goes though cos Chessington is pretty close to me. could I be really cheeky and ask how much it's costing you and how often you think you'll be going? Hope you don't mind.

mulsey Wed 03-Aug-05 19:40:26

My daughter has cranial sacrial massage every few weeks. I really wouldnt be without it now. At the start she would get upset. But now weve discovered if we have an early appointment and have the therapists doggy in the room,then everything is fine.
I have noticed that after a session she makes alot more noises and sounds, its as if it helps stimulate her speech. She also gets a really good nights sleep too.
It might not work for everyone, but it is work giving it a try........good luck with your session.

Davros Wed 03-Aug-05 19:48:39

Have tried it with DS and DD, saw no difference.

bumpylump Wed 03-Aug-05 19:58:11

My DS has had awfull colic & reflux since wk 4, he's had 4 sessions, another one tommorrow, have definately noticed a difference in him. He was so tense/in pain he didnt open his hands until 11wks. It's very gentle and he usually falls asleep during the treatment, can be a bit grizzly the following day though. She even helped with his constipation! Good Luck.

matnanplus Wed 03-Aug-05 20:30:52

Took NT 11wker today, within minutes of her touching him he went from fretful to huge smiles, feed well and had a 30min zz and played happily for 35min b4 falling asleep alone no rocking for almost 2hrs, had another feed and into bed, no jiggling.

She wants to see him again next wk, had this reaction a number of times with other babies, he had a very fast and forceful natural delivery and at 8wks had to change to lactose free formula but she said only his head/neck were tense, so formula working well.

sunchowder Wed 03-Aug-05 20:35:26

I believe in it and found it wonderful. I attended a training course here in the states so that I could work with my own family. Davros, I am wondering if you should try a different therapist?

Caroline5 Wed 03-Aug-05 21:08:21

We have had a few sessions with an osteopath for dd2 and have definitely noticed a difference, she is more alert and responsive afterwards and has become less sensitive of people touching her head/brushing hair etc. It's difficult to understand how it works, though, as the therapist doesn't touch her head, but only her back! I was pretty sceptical to begin with but feel sure it has had some effect.

newscot Wed 03-Aug-05 21:59:38

DD1 (HF ASD) has had a course. A week or so after the first treatment we suddenly started getting loads of 'why' questions which we hadn't had a lot of before. Language also seemed more pertinent and she lost most of her anxiety that she sometimes had. Mind you she was (and is)also getting weekly speech therapy so I will never really know if she was just progressing as a result of all of the therapists (and our) input or if the cranial therapy was a factor. Any way it can do no harm.

SweetPotato Wed 03-Aug-05 23:14:34

We are about to take our dd to an osteopath to give this a go as we figured it might help her and won't do her any harm (she has CP).

But one thing you might be able to help me with - what is the difference between a chiropractor and an osteoptath? I understand they both deal with the musculo-skeletal system but there must be some difference in what they do which I have totally missed.

(I discussed this with dp who leaves EVERYTHING to me and he said that chiropractors deal with feet . I guess that's why I let him leave EVERYTHING to me!)

KarenThirl Thu 04-Aug-05 07:07:51

J went for his second appointment with the cranial osteopath yesterday. I don't really understand it but J certainly seems calmer afterwards. It's early days yet but I'm definitely giving it a go - I've heard lots of positive reports of cranial osteopathy having significant benefits for children with ASDs so as far as I'm concerned we have nothing to lose.

Our guy's great too. He gets J to sit still by telling him he's trying to find out what colour bones he has in his head.

beep Thu 04-Aug-05 07:33:36

sweetpotato I used to take my daughter to one when she was small she has cp ,we started about 20 months i think, initially went because she didnt sleep,it was fantastic after the first visit on the way home she was playing with her feet for the first time ever!it really helped her took a while for the sleep to improve,had a fantastic therapist she could tell if ddhad got a new pair of afos just by feeling her legs.

Davros Thu 04-Aug-05 09:09:37

Sunchowder, we've seen 2 with DS (ASD), both trained at the place that used to be in Harley Street. I've seen another with DD (NT) who is highly recommended and respected, also trained with that place (can't remember the name). They both enjoyed it but I don't think it was "effective" for either of my children who are very different.

tallulah Thu 04-Aug-05 18:13:08

My 17 yo has been having regular cranial osteopathy for the last 10 years. He's dyspraxic and it has done him the world of good.

charlie95 Sun 07-Aug-05 21:24:08

i'm booked in for baby dd NT, this coming week but am very tempted try ds SN. he has general dev. delay and learning difficulties, can be very sensitive, nervous, lacks self confidence, and also oposite sometimes can be too excited and jumpy, teh need to move about a lot (modulation difficulties as described by OT).
wondered if it really would help him. of course it may be a battle at first to get him in there and tolerate a session. i'd try anything new to see if it helps him.

heartinthecountry Sun 07-Aug-05 21:43:12

It's the OCC (osteopathic centre for children) Davros - but has now moved to Farringdon so no longer in Harley St. We take dd there.

Charlie95 I would ask the therapist about your ds. they are usually very used to treating children who don't necessarily want to be treated so will do their best to work around this.

beccaboo Sun 07-Aug-05 22:00:12

Blossom, I took ds when he was quite small, for colic - he screamed the place down and the woman wasn't even touching him, her hand was just near his neck - quite spooky.

I do think there's something in it, because I have seen a cranial osteopath myself. I was going to her for a while after ds was born because i had back problems following the epidural. At this one session, she'd been working for about 15 minutes when I suddenly sat bolt upright on the bed. It was completely involuntary. My diaphragm started to contract,and my whole stomach was going into spasm. This went on for about 5 minutes, and then it was gone, and I felt really tearful. When I asked her why, she said it was because I never got to the pushing stage during labour - ds' head never engaged and I had a caesarean. She said that your body builds up to push throughout pregnancy, and because I didn't do it during his birth 'it' was still there. It was a very strange experience.

Davros Mon 08-Aug-05 19:45:56

Don't see any harm in trying, just see how it goes and what you think. For my ASD DS though I didn't pay the going rate so it was a no-brainer. Actually he much preferred the aromatherapy massage to the Cranial Osteopathy and I thought the therapist was better and we got more out of it!

Blossomhill Mon 08-Aug-05 19:49:17

Just got back and it was great. The man made so much sense and I think has some kind of gift.

Saker Mon 08-Aug-05 19:54:22

I was wondering about this for Ds2 even though I am usually very sceptical about this kind of thing. But he is always pushing his head against things so I thought it might be enjoyable for him if nothing else.

but how did you decide who is a good therapist and not a quack?

Blossomhill Mon 08-Aug-05 20:13:38

The guy who I went to see has been seen by lots of people I know and is highly recommended.

sunchowder Mon 08-Aug-05 20:43:26

Sorry it didn't work for you Davros...I am glad that others are benefiting here and have had good experiences.

heartinthecountry Mon 08-Aug-05 21:21:54

Remind me where you are Saker.... anywhere near Manchester or Leeds? I have a very good friend who practices in both of them and is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now