Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Integrative Disorder

(15 Posts)
Bethron Tue 02-Aug-05 22:53:47

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Tue 02-Aug-05 22:58:07

My DS has a dx of SID. Try reading a book called The Out Of Synch Child by Carole Kranowitzch. It explains SID and offers some pratical excercises that you can work on to help with sensory problems.

Bethron Tue 02-Aug-05 23:01:55

Message withdrawn

Bethron Sat 06-Aug-05 19:19:36

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Sat 06-Aug-05 21:26:02

J is hypersensitive to sounds....especially ones where he can see the source eg helicopter flying overhead somewhere will turn him into a nervous wreck. He cant stand the sound of the microwave and my hairdryer really bothers him.

He is constantly seeking spinning movement and will forward roll for hours on end. We have bought him a spinning top which he can sit in and be spun around to try and stop him from getting so bruised because we have wooden and stone floors here.

J has so many sensory problems that sometimes I worry about how he will cope with life as an adult. A simple shopping trip to the supermarket would ATM set him off into a meltdown...there are so many different sights, smells, sounds etc to cope with, but we know the only way we can overcome this is by exposing him as much as possible which would hopefully desensitise him.....its blooming hard work sometimes

Im glad you found the book interesting reading.....understanding your little ones problems shed's a new light on the difficulties they have.

Bethron Sun 07-Aug-05 08:49:42

Message withdrawn

mamadadawahwah Mon 08-Aug-05 13:28:07

The Kranowitz book is very very good and of course you will find mountains of information on the web. Just wanted to say regarding "licking", maybe you might think about checking for parasites, (im not kidding) as kids who lick (like my own) can pick up some nasty germs. My own son licks everything from floors to milk cartons and everything has to be sterilised before it comes into the house. A child with parasites (and we all have them to some degree) will be running around and "digging" at himself, or may just have upset tummy. Maybe no outward features at all, but might be an idea to give your son a probiotic or lots of garlic to kill the little buggers.

just a thought!

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 13:40:25

Whilst at BIBIC we discussed J's need to be constantly mouthing....he has always got something in his mouth be it tissue, the tv remote, his fingers or my arm!

They sugested we eliminate yeast from his diet for a while....to much yeast in the system can lead to the child constantly feeling hungry so therefore the need to source for food...including non food items such as dirt and leaves as in our case.

They also suggested that the problem was also sensory and offered us various excercises to do. Stimulating J's teeth and gums with an electric toothbrush, using a camera lens cleaner to blow in different parts of his mouth. The idea was that we would be helping J by stimulating his mouth in otherways.

We saw massive changes when we eliminated the yeast but not many after the course of excercises.

mamadadawahwah Mon 08-Aug-05 13:47:24

Yeast seems to be a biggie with our kids. I am giving my son grapeseed extract and acidophalus (not together) His whole bowel movement experience is now totally different (oh yeah, he is off milk, what a difference!)

The yeast issue was not brought up by my sons paediatrician and when i told her she asked me to get her more research, duh!

Bethron Mon 08-Aug-05 16:28:22

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 16:54:51

The nutritionalist we saw told us that pro-biotic yoghurts etc that you can buy really dont do very much as they are not in the system long enough. Acidophalus is far better to use especially when followed up after a two week period of Liquid Biocidin.

Bethron Mon 08-Aug-05 18:34:04

Message withdrawn

Caroline5 Mon 08-Aug-05 21:11:29

dd2 also mouthes a lot of things, particularly plastics, and has been known to eat earth and leaves (anything but normal food - she is a very low weight). We have also been told by a nutritionist to cut down on dd2's wheat/yeast and are giving dd2 the Liquid Biocidin (grapefruit extract) and the gut bacteria supplement (designed for babies as she thought dd2's gut was very immature). Does anyone know what the Biocidin stuff actually does??

Unfortunately, dd has begun to notice all the extra things being put in her drinks, has begun to refuse drinks and has become totally constipated - aagh!

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 21:32:49

googled and found this info

Caroline5 Tue 09-Aug-05 20:56:45

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now