Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statement advice again

(27 Posts)
Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 13:28:41

Message withdrawn

shey Tue 02-Aug-05 14:18:09

I am being a bit dim as I am sure you have said, but have you set the statement ball rolling at all? Have you taken the first step or is this the step you are thinking about? We are through step one, the LEA have agreed to assess, so we are now collating info for step 2. So far, so good! We did get advice from IPSEA right from the start. I can't believe that it is not worth your applying for a statement. From what you write I don't think the LEA can dismiss your case just like that. Who is it who says that it is not worth applying? I think you are quite right to get some advice. We have gone into this assuming that if DS was assessed we would be bound to go to tribunal...........we'll see...

heartinthecountry Tue 02-Aug-05 15:23:28

Socci - I think your dd is about 3, is that right? So are you wanting to get her statemented now ready for when she would be going to school next year? And do you plan to carry on with ABA or do you want her to go to a particular school?

If this is the case, I think I would write to the LEA asking them to assess your dd for statementing. I would write a shortish letter explaining what her SN are and how they affect her ability to learn. I wouldn't at this stage mention that you are doing ABA with her - no need as is none of their business at the moment. But I would put phrases in there along the lines of 'she needs tasks to be highly motivating to her' etc. Basically laying the groundwork INCASE you decide you want them to fund ABA in the future, and in any case, stating how you think she is best able to learn.

Include any professional reports you hve that back you up. Basically if you can show that your dd has significant educational needs over and above that of a normal child, I believe the LEA have to agree to assess her. Lots of LEAs try and wriggle out of it by saying they don't statement pre-schoolers but this is a nonsense and, I think, illegal.

I would also definitely speak to someone at IPSEA - I found them really really helpful, and it is what they are there for.

If your LEA then refuse to statement, well I would probably seek advice from IPSEA again. But I don't think you have anything to lose by requesting that they assess for statement now. The whole process can take quite a long time so if you want a statement in place for next September it probably isn't unreasonable to start the ball rolling now.

You never know - they might agree.....

heartinthecountry Tue 02-Aug-05 15:26:34

sorry, just re-read your message and not sure I answered your questions. I'll come back to this later when I have more time.

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 18:07:24

Message withdrawn

shey Tue 02-Aug-05 18:40:37

Our ds is at nursery and we asked them to initiate a statement so we could try to get everything in place for sept 2006. The LEA told them not to start doing anything but wait for a year or so. We were so anxious tht thing were organised (both being teachers) that we decided to go for it ourselves. I know you have more rights that way. The LEA has been forced to look at all our info and as I say, we are through to stage 2. Go for it but get hold of IPSEA!!!! Nothing ventured.....

Jimjams Tue 02-Aug-05 18:44:13

Have you put in a written request? There's a template on the ipsea website. once you send that in all the time limits kick in.

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 18:48:44

Message withdrawn

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 18:51:30

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Tue 02-Aug-05 18:51:30

oh i see- think that's illegal though- but agree talk to ipsea- or the nas education advocacy line.

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 18:56:11

Message withdrawn

heartinthecountry Tue 02-Aug-05 20:14:12

TBH Socci - I would hold off on the solicitor until you really need them as they are, as you say, expensive. It may well be that you need one later on to fight for what goes into the statement.

I am sure Shey is right - If you request the statement assessment yourself then the LEA have to look at it. I think if anyone else requests it, they can put it off. If they are due to 'look at' your dd in September anyway I think I would put in a formal request in writing, along with the reports you have now. Hopefully that will be too much evidence for them to ignore and they will have to agree to assess.

Good Luck! We are at the other end, fighting to get something reasonable included re: SALT and Physio.

Davros Tue 02-Aug-05 20:20:24

Hi Socci, haven't read all of this, but what I've seen of HITC's advice sounds good. I STRONGLY recommend you contact the NAS Advocacy service as they are more specialised than IPSEA in ASD, and no harm done contacting both.

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 20:35:13

Message withdrawn

maddiemo Tue 02-Aug-05 21:01:55

The LEA can't make you attend their provision to assess her needs.
Do you have an idea of what you want to achieve in a statement and what provision you are aimimg for?

Your LEA may try to delay you,if like mine it does not like to statement pre school children.
I remember that our case went to assessment panel in the Feb and he started school in the September of the same year. The problem with this is it is cutting it fine if you disagree with the LEA. The plus side was that all assessments were recent and therefore gave a good picture of where he was at.

Socci Tue 02-Aug-05 23:39:59

Message withdrawn

Socci Wed 03-Aug-05 21:10:45

Message withdrawn

Davros Thu 04-Aug-05 09:06:45

I would speak to NAS/IPSEA and get something in to the LEA asap. Only then can you start the process. Until then nothing can happen and I'd do it before Sept when school people start trying to get involved. Sooner the better! Target is to get Draft Statement, whatever it says, only then can you negotiate. Obv you want the best you can get as quickly as possible but get something in to them.

Blossomhill Thu 04-Aug-05 09:07:27

Hello Davros - how are you?

Davros Thu 04-Aug-05 09:12:26

Even with all the holiday provision I'm struggling! Had to withdraw DS from trip to Legoland today, too ambitious and he's been hitting other kids and screaming/howling . Got both at home with me today, ugh! Hope rest of holiday will be easier. Thanks for asking, sorry for hijack!

Blossomhill Thu 04-Aug-05 09:14:47

Sorry to hear that Davros (I had an awful weekend but dd has calmed down again (thankfully as I was on the verge of cracking up)
Hope you don't have too bad a day. xxxxxx

Socci Thu 04-Aug-05 13:19:50

Message withdrawn

Solette Fri 05-Aug-05 17:39:37

Socci, try these helplines for some advice:

ACE: \link{http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/index2.html}

The Disability Law Service: \link{http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/26739429/}

The Community Legal Service: \link{http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/about/index.jsp?#clsdirect?lang=en}
Scroll 3/5 down the page for more information.

Socci Fri 05-Aug-05 18:02:33

Message withdrawn

Socci Wed 10-Aug-05 13:14:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: