Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What a difference with 1:1 help!!!!

(14 Posts)
TheRealMrsF Mon 01-Aug-05 19:59:46

all my 3 went to their 1st day at the SN playscheme today.

FAntastic!

each child at the scheme has 1:1 support- however in the 'teens' section they are very 'subtle' and discreet with the 'help' they offer...though they have all got a helper assigned to them...tom had not an inkling!!!!

So...why am i posting???

Well, having HFA/Asperger's boys in mainstream with NO specific support leaves it up to me to calm them down after a complicated day...and me using social stories etc daily to clarify what has happened at school.

So i get fed up- and i DREAD the boys going to school...then feel sick as i see the look on their faces when they come home.

So today...they came home so relaxed...so happy and having had a fantastic time.

Leigh said that his helper listened to him when he was sad.

He also came out asking me to get out his lego when we came home as he played with it at the playscheme ....may not seem a monumental request...but after maybe 6 months of gameboy/yu-gi-oh etc...and not love nor moneyy could i budge him to play lego...to have him come home 'buzzing' with enthusiasm for lego...well ....priceless!!!!

also.... after giving up asking the school to do a 'home-school link book'...to get given just that today for all 3 boys...a record of what they did and enjoyed.....and somewhere for me to state my happiness at their happiness (and thanks to the support workers)...well i am so happy!

Just sad too that as far as i can see the only time my boys will feel like this is at this club- as even at home they NEVER get 1:1 FULL attention from me.(and certainly NEVER at school)

Jimjams Mon 01-Aug-05 20:01:26

RnB Mon 01-Aug-05 20:20:34

Message withdrawn

Christie Mon 01-Aug-05 20:54:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Christie Mon 01-Aug-05 20:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheRealMrsF Mon 01-Aug-05 21:05:15

christie...though u were turning spanish!!!

RnB
Just finishing off leigh's DLA forms...have to get them there by8 august...then i will get your video sorted!!!!

Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 21:28:07

Glad to hear it all went well MrsF

How are you? Haven't seen u around in ages xxx

TheRealMrsF Mon 01-Aug-05 22:13:01

...well imersed in leigh's dla form.... on final page tomorrow...plan to post it by lunchtime....

coppertop Mon 01-Aug-05 22:55:55

How did I miss this thread earlier??

It sounds like an excellent playscheme, MrsF. I'm glad you got to find out what they'd all been up to (even interrogation won't get the info out of my ds1!) and got to see them all happy and relaxed when they got home too.

Fio2 Tue 02-Aug-05 09:52:06

wonderful

KarenThirl Tue 02-Aug-05 12:28:05

Hi Mrs F. Glad the boys' playscheme is going well. J is enjoying his too - he has almost 1-1 but has adopted the one male staff member as his own and commandeers him for games of Connect 4. The scheme itself is a bit young for him really but he loves it, and it's giving me a break. Not so's you'd notice though, now that I've got to plod on with DLA appeal.

Hope your boys continue to get a lot from the scheme.

TheRealMrsF Tue 02-Aug-05 13:44:00

karen...what is it about Connect 4 and our boys????!!!!

The carer was gobsmacked by leigh's 'rainmannish' maths skills...they were playing 'soft darts' and she couldn't believe how eassily he added up...but then to op it she said he remembered eveyone elses scores and ordered them like a league table!!!

there are disadvantages though with this 'skill'...he knows to the penny what is in his money box...so wo betided me if i sneak some out to pay dinner money etc!!

coppertop Tue 02-Aug-05 15:47:46

LOL MrsF!

I sometimes change the pound coins in the moneyboxes for £5 or £10 notes to make it easier to take to the bank. Ds1 and ds2 look absolutely devastated at seeing me take out lots of lovely shiny coins and sticking bits of paper in there instead.

Good luck with the DLA appeal, Karen. xx

KarenThirl Tue 02-Aug-05 17:15:56

The thing that makes me laugh about Connect 4 is how J can remember every move of the game, and expects me to be the same. If I have a go and lose, he'll want a blow-by-blow account of how it all went and he seems to think I'm weird when I can't do it!

J hates me changing his money over as well. He likes to have lots of jinglies in his purse and paper just doesn't cut it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now