Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

carers allowance

(14 Posts)
jenk1 Sat 30-Jul-05 15:01:07

if u r receiving incapacity benefit is it worth claiming carers allowance for ds and dd with special needs or would i be penalised for doing so, the leaflet says it will effect incapacity benefit but not by how much-anyone know anything about this
thanks in advance

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 15:45:51

asll i know is you can earn up to 80 ponud a week whilst claiming Dla

ssd Sat 30-Jul-05 15:47:02

Sorry don't have any advice, but there is a number you can phone for advice about care allowance. They've helped me on the past. Sorry I can't remember the no., (isn't it on the leaflet maybe)

Good luck.

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 15:48:02

whilst claiming carers that is

misdee Sat 30-Jul-05 16:01:31

i think you will then move onto income support than incapcity benefit. you can only claim one lot of carers allowence, you dp can claim the 2nd. i think the children have to be in receipt of middle/high rate care conponant of dla.

jenk1 Sat 30-Jul-05 16:03:42

maybe it would be better for dh to claim carers allowance for kids mind u though he earns well over 80 pound per week-oh im confused now!

geekgrrl Sat 30-Jul-05 16:07:10

well he can't claim it then.

Fran1 Sat 30-Jul-05 16:12:21

carers allowance is a benefit for those who have to give up work to care for someone, so your dp won't need it if he is earning.

misdee Sat 30-Jul-05 16:13:50

if he earns over £77 (is that right these days?) then he wont be able to claim. have the kids been awarded DLA?

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jul-05 16:25:52

you dont have to give up work to claim carers i know plenty of people you work within the limit 70 something quid a week may have changed thou, but if you are on incapacity benefit (which i am)
then you quailify as having an underlying entitlement to carers, but you dont actually get any money from carers allowance, the only thing it may do is trigger extra payments from income support ect , so check it out as it may/may not be worth it

ssd Sat 30-Jul-05 17:26:16

I was going to claim carers for looking after my mum, but as we receive WFTC we wouldn't get both I was told.

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jul-05 19:30:33

well we get CTC and my hubby gets carers so i would double check if i were you.

Fran1 Sat 30-Jul-05 23:28:56

onlyjoking CTC is different to WTC

I know you can earn a up to £77 p/week but the intention of CA is to help those who have had to give up work for their caring role, or who cannot work a fulltime job because of it.

KarenThirl Sun 31-Jul-05 07:20:49

I get IB and applied for CA regardless when I sent in the forms for J's DLA. I was called in for a back to work interview, to assess my current situation and when I expected to be fit for work. It's all academic now because I got the letter from DWP yesterday saying that I don't qualify for DLA for J, so unless I get a successful appeal it makes no difference in my case.

I do know someone who had a successful DLA claim for her son while claiming IB for herself. She too tried to get CA but didn't get the money because of her IB. OTOH she did get what's called 'underlying entitlement' whereby you get NI credits, but I think you automatically get those on IB anyway.

I'd say give it a shot. The CA forms are a doddle once you've done the DLA lot, so there's nothing to lose.

HTH a bit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: