Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd still eating things off of the floor, please help I am at my wits end with it all :(:(:(:(

(24 Posts)
Blossomhill Sat 30-Jul-05 11:05:26

Still having major problems with E eating things off of the floor.
We went to the park yesterday and things are so much easier in that she will just go off and play and does interact with the other children.
However the 1 thing that is still going on is that she puts things in her mouth. She picked up a crisp, sweets and basically any food stuff she can get into her mouth. I am obviously watching E like a hawk but have J to watch too.
I have tried explaining that it can really hurt you, germs, you may have to go to hospital. I am also very ashamed to admit that yesterday I even said she could die if she keeps doing it (how awful is that?). The thing is it could be very dangerous indeed. It just goes in 1 ear and out the other though.
The other point, which obviously isn't as important is that it brings attention to her. In the park other kids were staring when she did it (obviously I got to her asap but she hides when she does it). When you have a child with social/communication problems you don't really want to draw unnecessary attention to the situation really.
Just wish someone could help but not sure who to turn to. She also does it at school and will even pick things out of the bin.
Why oh why is she doing this. I just feel so out of control with this.
Can I contact any pros about it and if so who???
Thanks

Jimjams Sat 30-Jul-05 12:08:49

I think pros would just suggest social stories tbh. Lots of repetition of them, and lots of supervision so you catch her in the act and stop it before it happens. That's usually the only way we can deal with something like this with ds1.

I wouldn't worry about harm fromk the odd manky piece of food- most children are built with ox stomachs. My friends dd eats everything- glass ornaments, orange peel, wood. The only thing that has done her any harm was lead paint

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 15:43:16

oh gosh mine have been known to eat off the floor, I just ignore it

mine have ox stomachs though, we have dogs so I ignore , omg

JOSIE3 Sat 30-Jul-05 15:58:59

Agree re social stories.

Do you have any time with her where you can practise? Or can school help with this? ie. After social story put bread etc on floor and ask her to put it in the bin/ give it to you/ ignore it? Using edible rewards can help reinforce.

Obviously this is going to be time comsuming, and frustrating but I've seen it work with some kids.

Jimjams Sat 30-Jul-05 17:30:39

don't worry fio- ds1 eats off the floor all the time- as long as it isn't gluten...... Actually he's eaten out of the car bowl as well (which does contain gluten- and is yuk!) His diet is so limited I was kind of pleased (almost)

Jimjams Sat 30-Jul-05 17:30:55

cat bowl even.

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 17:47:30

i do try and hide the dog bowls

Socci Sat 30-Jul-05 17:52:36

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Sat 30-Jul-05 18:58:17

Thanks for all of your advice.

Re. social story I am stuck on how to write one with regards to things off of the floor. Monica did show me an example which was helpful but not sure how to word one about picking things up off of the floor. Also when do you use the social story and how often?

Thanks xxx

JOSIE3 Sat 30-Jul-05 19:07:59

I'm happy to help you write one if you like. What do you want it to contain?

Should use it as often as possible - if there is time before school (though I'm laughing when i write that!!), maybe school could fit it in once aor twice a day, after school if time and with bedtime story.

That's the PR ideal anyhow, most parents find at bedtime to be easy enough to fit in, and maybe before outings which may induce behaviour.

Blossomhill Sat 30-Jul-05 19:13:41

Josie - are you sure you don't mind? If you could that would be so, so helpful.

I am not sure what I want it to contain exactly. Just for dd to know that it is dangerous. I mean she drinks things out of cans bottles and as dh said they could have wee, bleach, anything in. Just that I don't want her to do it as it's dangerous and could make her very ill. Also that other children may think she is silly doing it (not sure that bothers her tbh though)

JOSIE3 Sun 31-Jul-05 12:19:37

Blossomhill - just read message, have to go out for a couple of hours but I haven't forgotten about you. Couple of things
1. How old is your DD?

2. how is her concentration level? Will she read a book containing 10 pages? 5? etc Probably about 2 short sentences on each page, with a pecs picture to help.

Davros Sun 31-Jul-05 13:22:06

Agree with social stories, sounds like Josie can help you with this, we've never got that far with DS! Also I'd take something she really likes to eat and tell her, if you want something to eat, I've got X here, from what I know of her she would understand that.

Blossomhill Sun 31-Jul-05 15:22:43

Hi Josie

Dd will be 6 in August

Yes she can read for ages as that is one of her "hobbies". That sounds fine with the pecs.

Thank you so much xxx

Davros - have tried that and nothing works. I just don't know why she does it but it's almost as if she can't stop herself.

JOSIE3 Mon 01-Aug-05 10:59:59

Working on story - haven't forgotten you!! Do you have access to pecs pictures? or do you need thoses too?

KiwiKate Mon 01-Aug-05 12:07:40

My DS does that, but only with my mum because he knows he gets a reaction from her. He gets no reaction from us, so stopped doing it after a couple of times.

Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 18:58:39

Josie - I don't know if I do have access to them to be honest.

I really, really appreciate your help with this

JOSIE3 Mon 01-Aug-05 19:10:31

Not a problem, I'll see what I can do here.

I'll have access to pecs pictures on friday.
Otherwise I think you'll be stuck with my very unartistic drawings!!

Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 20:31:43

Are you sure Josie. I would hate to put you under any stress as you have enought to deal with

JOSIE3 Thu 04-Aug-05 11:55:42

It's really not a problem. Will just take a little that's all. xxx

Blossomhill Fri 05-Aug-05 17:40:53

Thanks Josie - it's very kind of you xxx

JOSIE3 Tue 09-Aug-05 23:20:31

Blossomhill, sorry I've not been back to you for a few days. I'm still willing to help you, but my father has just had a stroke. I'm spending alot of time at my parents and will get the story to you as soon as i can.

Blossomhill Tue 09-Aug-05 23:21:39

Josie - So, so sorry to hear about your dad Do not worry, I will sort something out. I can ask dd's SALT when we go back.
Hugs Blossomhill xxx

SleepyJess Mon 15-Aug-05 22:31:35

My Ds eats off the floor. At home I think I have become horribly blase about it.. not meaning to.. but he just does it so often and it's so hard to stop him all the time. Often, he throws things off his tray of his trip-trap chair as if he doesn't want it.. then DIVES at it, like a starving child, when I get him back out of his chair!

My friend is quite disgusted by this behaviour (and probably others who have witnessed too) I know.. but oh God.. it's all so TIRING isn't it.. dealing with all these SN and challenging behaviours.. and eating chips off the floor (which you know you washed at least x days ago!) seems like the the least of your problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now