Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

CHAT. CARS or DISCO, what is the best screening tool for asd and most effective?

(5 Posts)
Blossomhill Wed 27-Jul-05 10:24:09

Following on from jimjams post on the CHAT test I was wondering what tools are used and which are the most effectiive.
When we were at Bibic they used CARS (which I had never heard of). I would be really interested to know what they do for each test and how they come to their conclusion and what makes them use the test they do.
Surely it would be easier if they all played from the same song sheet IYKWIM

coppertop Wed 27-Jul-05 10:30:07

I suppose a lot depends on the age of the child. CHAT is good because it can be used for toddlers, it's relatively quick and doesn't cost anything once initial training has been given (apart from the GP/HV's time.

I've not used DISCO (I'm going to have that awful song stuck in my head now!) or CARS (Gary Numan? ) so don't know anything about them tbh.

Davros Wed 27-Jul-05 10:32:34

How much training does anyone need to do the CHAT test? An excuse not to do it maybe?

Jimjams Wed 27-Jul-05 10:32:43

well they're testingfor diffewrent things. chat aims to screen for 18 month olds at risk of developing autism. cars gives an idea of the severity of autism, disco no idea...

Fio2 Wed 27-Jul-05 10:34:50

oh coppertop you make me larf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now