Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What are the significant indicators of ASD in a 11 month old baby?

(20 Posts)
yorkshirelass Fri 22-Jul-05 09:44:24

Hi all! I am the worried mother of an 11 month old DS who is yet to "babble" in a typical baby manner. Whilst I appreciate this in itself is not significant, when I started reading on the internet I have read many other early signs of ASD which mothers have noticed and am would like to ask the opinions of people who may have been here.

Physically my DS is rolling, crawling, reaching out for things, pulling himself up (but stands on tip-toes - is this significant?) but shows no signs of waving, clapping, pointing or following a point yet. He lifts his arms up when wants to be picked up, makes eye contact and makes many different sounds eg, grunting/grumbling (favourite!), shrieking, ooh, eey aay. He is very interested in people, animals etc and stares at strangers when we are out - will even shriek at them to get their attention if they're not looking (however only smiles at strangers occasionally!)

Possible ASD traits I have identified in my DS are: terrified of certain noises eg. hoover, sellotape being unravelled, easily gags when eating, only responds to name sometimes, flaps arms and "hits" everything, doesn't "play" with toys - either bashes them or is more interested in the underneath of them and any flaps which can be opened/closed, stares intently at my mouth rather than my eyes when singing to him, no attempt to play peekaboo himself but laughs when I play it with him although quickly gets bored of it and doesn't enjoy being held - would rather be off exploring.

I suppose I am just asking whether anyone has been in a similar situation and how it turned out. I know 11 months is very young and he may be a late developer but I can’t help my gut feeling which is that there’s more to it than that. Thanks for getting this far – any responses would be gratefully received.

Jimjams Fri 22-Jul-05 09:52:13

Bit young- just keep an eye on the pointing- should be well developed by 18 months. Also at 11 months should be quite distractable with a poor attention span- that's normal- long periods of very focussed attention isn't.

compo Fri 22-Jul-05 09:57:28

Sounds completely normal to me. My 16 month old has been a late developer. Didn't crawl until a week before he was one. Does say any words aprt from dada and mama at everybody! Does vague pointing but not in a determined way iyswim. All the possible traits you mention are things my ds does - gagging on food, flapping arms etc, totally normal behaviour. They look at your mouth when you talk because that's the bit that moves, not your eyes. My ds started playing peekaboo himself around 13 motnhs i think. And has always been fascinated by the labels/flaps on toys. HTH

Davros Fri 22-Jul-05 10:26:17

At 11 months we could see clear signs with DS. No eye contact, no attachment, no play, no copying. Your DS sounds OK to me but agree to watch out for that pointing! Also the things I mentioned above that our DS didn't do.

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 10:28:05

I think that lifting arms up to be picked up is a good sign, isn't it? DS1 didn't do that.

Jimjams Fri 22-Jul-05 10:58:03

It is a good sign dinosaur- but ds1 did do that - from about 7 months...

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 11:01:56

That's interesting Jimjams. I suppose it just reinforces the message that you have to look at the child and his/her behaviour in the round, not just at isolated bits of behaviour that may or may not be signs.

DS3 has (rather annoyingly) not done much pointing recently, although he does reach for things with his index finger which I am hoping is the beginning of proper pointing. But he is clapping his hands and is initiating games of peek-a-boo (which again DS1 didn't do at this age).

Socci Fri 22-Jul-05 13:03:04

Message withdrawn

yorkshirelass Fri 22-Jul-05 14:39:15

Thanks for you thoughts everyone, has made me think I need to focus less on particular quirks and just see what develops.

Socci- just wondered you mentioned subtle behaviours in your DD at this age and wondered whether she engaged in language, babbling etc?

Socci Fri 22-Jul-05 18:11:36

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Fri 22-Jul-05 18:23:54

ds1 (severely autistic) babbled on time and started talking very early - had said about 50 words before gradually stopping- all gone by about 15 monthish.

DS2 was late babbling (started properly about 9/10 monthish). Was alos late talking but I never thought he was autistic as from about a year his ability to communicate (using pointing etc) shot off. I did htink he might have verbal dyspraxia, and his speech development was odd, but his language development was normal iyswim.

louismama Fri 22-Jul-05 18:54:09

hi yorkshirelass, ds sounds alot like my ds at that age and my intention is not to alarm you but we are waiting assessment re asd now 2years old. The traits thing is a difficult one as someone said to me once and I definately think its true average children do alot of the things asd children do, the difference is they bore of them quickly and move on. All i would said to you is if your instincts continue after a few months get on to your H.V. and ask for a referal to your child development centre they are only obliged to refer under 2's if the parent requests (insists) and waiting list are invariably long. (dont be put off by well meaning relatives) For now Id say keep an eye on the situation but try not to get neurotic about it(easy done) sit back and enjoy your baby 11 months is such a lovely age make the most of it.

yorkshirelass Sat 23-Jul-05 18:32:02

Louismama - like you say I'm trying to relax and enjoy DS but it's difficult when you feel like you're watching every action like a hawk!! What were the key factors for you when looking back and identifying asd in your baby?

My DH is deaf to my worries which doesn't help in that it just makes me feel totally neurotic but I can't help noticing what I see.

Socci Sat 23-Jul-05 20:28:11

Message withdrawn

coppertop Sat 23-Jul-05 21:04:14

Ds1 and ds2 (both ASD) were very different to each other at that age. Ds1 didn't babble at all. Ds2 didn't babble until about 10mths(ish) and within a week had a few words that were a bit too perfectly pronounced. Those words disappeared and no more were added. Ds1 wasn't particularly interested in people and so was often labelled "shy". Ds2 was very sociable in comparison and was busy charming little old ladies wherever he went. Both boys loved things that could spin and any round objects they could find. Ds1 was able to wave but ds2 had to be taught how and still gets it the wrong way round (has his palms facing him). Both boys at 11 months preferred milk to solid food and hated lumps of any kind. I don't think either of them flapped until they were a little older.

As dinosaur says I think you have to look at the bigger picture rather than individul signs.

louismama Tue 26-Jul-05 15:36:52

When ds was 12months and the phycologist had suspicions she advised me to try to make him make eye contact more by holding objects infront of my noise, the same with dinner make him Look for it, aeroplanes turn this way then that basically dont make life TOO easy or comfortable for him. Get on floor with him lots, imitate things he does, do things slowly i.e. when i tried to make ds do anything he wouldnt but if i placed an object infront of him and left it alone it would catch his eye and he may pick it up then we could build on the interest. It was soul destroying to begin with but slowly weve built up interaction now he loves it when we sit on the floor and play ball etc. Play in the mirror easier for eye contact if thats a problem, practice pushing buttons with index finger to help pointing (light switches, telephone) Use really basic old fashioned toys stacking rings/cups, blocks, shape sorters, chunky jigsaws. The flashing lights and music are great but its the really basic ones that teach skills. Hope this is of some help; you could look at my archived threads for more info, All dhs are the same im told its much easier to deal with things if you just deny them, they dont have mothers built in gut instinct when all is not well though do they.

yorkshirelass Wed 27-Jul-05 07:56:40

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I am just trying to enjoy my DS and provide lots of interaction and not assess his every move as am aware I am not going to get any definitive answers for a long time yet, even if it is ASD.

Anyway, I will post an update in the future so that other people feeling like this in the future can see the outcome whatever it may be.

Thanks again.

yorkshirelass Tue 09-Aug-05 15:24:44

Just wanted to again thank everyone who replied when I hi-jacked the board with my worries. The situation now is that I have spoken to my HV regarding my concerns who in turn referred me to the GP. We are awaiting an appointment for a full hearing test and if that comes back clear we will be referred for Speech Therapy. I just feel so helpless and know that only time will tell but I suppose that's normal?

A fortnight after he was born he had a Urine Infection and subsequently was on long-term antibiotics for 3 months while investigations were done. I have heard mention of antibiotics and autism and now can't help wondering if this was maybe a trigger, just wondered if anyone knows about this?

Thanks again in advance.

louismama Tue 09-Aug-05 19:29:41

Augmentin was a particular drug which been linked possibly cant help more than that im afraid

Davros Wed 10-Aug-05 14:09:03

No, I don't know much about ABs and ASD but have heard it mentioned. Glad to hear that you are making progress (although it may not feel like it!). Good luck with it all, we're here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now