Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any ideas for toys / books anything else to use as reinforcement?

(16 Posts)
Socci Wed 20-Jul-05 20:00:14

Message withdrawn

JakB Wed 20-Jul-05 20:09:05

What does your DD really like? My DD is obsessed by food (mainly) but also likes music and singing things. Things like a Singing Dora Doll work for her or one of those Boobah spinners (being hung upside down works too!). La La used to work but she's gone off her! The PECS people do very good tactile and visual reinforcement packs for about £30 with high excitement toys in them (you don't have to be using PECS for these to be useful). What are you using at the moment and we can think laterally?

Jimjams Wed 20-Jul-05 20:27:24

we used broken choc buttons, spinny things, 10 seconds in the garden, being bounced in a chair, swung in a chair, noisy thingts you swing round your head, flashing lights, social praise, tickles.....

Jimjams Wed 20-Jul-05 20:28:00

my pecs visual pack was a bit crap though- a lot of it broke really easily

JakB Wed 20-Jul-05 20:35:11

Oh no! Hope you sent it back for that money. Yeah, we use lots of social praise, tickles and singing as well as LOTS of food at the mo.

beccaboo Wed 20-Jul-05 20:39:42

We're not doing ABA, but things that spring to mind: a quick go on a marble run maybe? We have a rain stick thing from ELC that ds likes, and a football rattle - and those balloons that you let go and they whizz round the room squealing (Sainsburys sell them).

Davros Wed 20-Jul-05 21:38:37

Cause and effect toys were always biggies in the early days, like those noisy whizzing balloons. I used to haunt Woollies and Toys R Us and Hawkins Bazaar. Bubbles were great until he got obsessed, that spray soap, anything with anticpation too. Lots of "drunken sailor" swinging etc but be careful, little boys get big and girly tutors don't get any bigger!

Davros Wed 20-Jul-05 21:39:27

Just thought, do you use a reinforcer assessment form? I can email you one and then you can really work out what she likes and what everyone thinks she likes

Socci Wed 20-Jul-05 21:42:20

Message withdrawn

Davros Wed 20-Jul-05 21:45:51

You need to rotate r+s and toys too, bloody hard work, get a tutor to do it

Socci Wed 20-Jul-05 21:46:44

Message withdrawn

beccaboo Wed 20-Jul-05 22:06:11

Marble Run is from ELC (I need a gold membership to that place). It has little plastic channels, wheels and funnels that fit together like lego - you put a marble in the top and watch as it follows the track all the way down - fun visually, and it makes a good noise too. About £15 I think.

Socci Wed 20-Jul-05 22:23:11

Message withdrawn

KarenThirl Thu 21-Jul-05 08:08:13

Asda did one much cheaper, not sure if they still have it now but you can get them all over the place.

Socci Thu 21-Jul-05 12:53:45

Message withdrawn

Davros Thu 21-Jul-05 13:09:57

Try ELC on line but they DO sell them everywhere, prob Argos and Woollies and Toys R Us......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now