Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My ds probably has Aspergers, any book recommendations?

(16 Posts)
fairy Wed 20-Jul-05 15:24:02

Hi

Today both our family and scholl have decided that ds, he is 6, has Aspergers, so now we start the process of getting it all official.

In the mean time I wonder if anyone out there has any recommendations on books to help us deal with this, the school nurse suggested one by Tony At(t)wood, anyone had experience of his books?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

fairy Wed 20-Jul-05 15:24:39

That would be School, rather than a type of shoe!!!!!

macwoozy Wed 20-Jul-05 15:49:19

Hi Fairy, my son is on the Autistic Spectrum as well.
Yeh, I have a book by Tony Attwood called Aspergers Syndrome. Loads of information to help you understand and help your ds. Really informative. I bought mine on Amazon.

Blossomhill Wed 20-Jul-05 15:49:55

Martian in the playground is a good book that talks about life at school by a person with AS.

Chocol8 Wed 20-Jul-05 18:20:26

I have Asperger's Syndrome - guide for parents and teachers (?) by Tony Attwood and it is like a little bible that I dip in and out of. It also has questions in which I have revisited and re-scored a couple of times.

Luke Jackson's books are very good too.

TheRealMrsF Wed 20-Jul-05 19:33:34

chocs...when i read your posst i read it as "I have Asperger's Syndrome"....then i realised you meant the book title!!!

kama Wed 20-Jul-05 19:52:37

Message withdrawn

beccaboo Wed 20-Jul-05 20:55:15

I have a son who is 3.7 years and has Aspergers. I've recently read a book called Aspergers Syndrome in Young Children - can't remember the author but it's published by Jessica Kingsley. It deals with children up to 5 years, so your ds will be past that stage by now, but you might recognise some of the developmental patterns they describe from when he was younger.

Davros Wed 20-Jul-05 21:41:13

Fairy, how are you feeling? Obviously determined to get as much info as poss and get on with things. Remember we all know how it feels and we're here.
Look at the NAS website for their info sheets and publications and Jessica Kingsley.

KarenThirl Thu 21-Jul-05 08:05:08

Brenda Boyd's 200 Tips is a godsend. Loads of good advice and strategies.\link {http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1843101378/qid=1121929239/sr=1-1/ref=sr1_101/202-4953576-1429414\here}

Also her son Kenneth Hall's book about his own experiences of having AS, written when he was 10.

KarenThirl Thu 21-Jul-05 08:05:36

Sorry, my head's not getting around links today...

fairy Thu 21-Jul-05 09:08:19

Thank you for all your help and advice so far.

I guess I always thought that ds was different, and now I have an explanation as why, as as far as we are concerned the situation can only improve now.
His school are extremley supportive, and they know that he is not a naughty boy, and that he is bright, clever and fun to be with. So I feel pretty positive on that front at the moment.
I guess I never thought I would be writing something in the Special Needs section, but its just a special club instead.

Thanks again.

Davros Thu 21-Jul-05 12:24:50

Sorry to be welcoming you to our club Fairy, but of course you are welcome. I've found MN to be the most supportive forum that I've been involved in. All these years and I've been to I don't know how many support groups, run one myself, have lots of friends with children with ASD but I just find it so much easier to say what I want here (I am a saddo!)

monica2 Fri 22-Jul-05 10:41:20

Hi fairy I found another excellent book "the Oasis guide to Asperger Syndrome" by Patricia Romanowski Bashe and Barbara L. Kirby (Foreword by Tony Attwood) the authors are both mums of AS kids, I got it when dd was dx aged 7, it offers advice, support, insight and inspiration.

fairy Sat 23-Jul-05 07:47:19

Thank you for your suggestions, I've ordered Asperger's Syndrome - guide for parents and professionals, so lets see what that can do.

I think the hardest thing for myself and dh is not to shout at ds when he is doing something daft etc, its very hard. It is also hard as our other ds who is 3 sees what the othet is doing and tries to copy, which is not very helpful, and how do you explain to a 3 year that his his brother is different and you can't get away with the same thing.

Thanks again

Chocol8 Sat 23-Jul-05 09:12:39

On the subject of telling siblings, there is a small book I have seen about it which is very good. No doubt Jessica Kingsley publish it - and probably more.

It's great that the school are being supportive too!

Yes, MrsF - I probably am, I have suspected it for some time. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now