Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toilet training - what are your experiences?

(42 Posts)
Socci Mon 18-Jul-05 21:24:46

Message withdrawn

Socci Mon 18-Jul-05 21:25:17

Message withdrawn

maddiemo Mon 18-Jul-05 21:44:48

We went straight to toilet rather than potty as we thought it would be too confusing. We did have a potty but ds3 seemed to be terified of it.

We did not night train at the same time but I wish we had as I think he could have done it.

It did not take long really, lots of wet pants in the early days and then it just seemed to click. I think I was lucky that he liked being clean.

Good luck

Davros Mon 18-Jul-05 21:45:13

Hmmm, we didn't dispense with nappies/pull-ups at night or on outings and car journeys for a LONG time. Overall it took us 1 year from day one to not thinking about taking a nappy or potty with us. Have you got "reinforcing" potties? I think Misdee or Miaow posted a link to a throne one that plays tunes from Babies R Us. I got DD something similar, not a throne, but the added bonus of a lid (essential!). Do you need to use a potty and not go straight to the toilet? We had to use potties for spontaneity and because of the layout of the house and they worked well, but if she doesn't like it maybe the toilet with a special seat would work. Maybe you need to get DD2 her own potty. We had a range of exciting coloured potties in various shapes. Are you using visual strategies too? Even if she is verbal a visual strategy is essntial imo. A big picture or symbol to show her that's what we are doing which she will ultimately use to request, a simple sequence showing the reinforcer, a timer etc.

Dingle Mon 18-Jul-05 22:00:34

Amelia has been doing the odd wee on a potty for about a year now. She is progressing greatly, but I still feel we have a long way to go.

We use a potty, although he will quite happily sit on the toilet, we only have an upstairs toilet and it takes forever to try to get her to walk up the stairs!

It has only been in the last month, she will shout out "weee..wee" before that she did occasionally sign.

I found that once Amelia had "got it" we went through a novelty stage of doing a tiny wee, every 5 minutes!! Thank goodness we seem to have passed that stage now, but she does need to be reminded, and I try to sit her on the potty every half hour or so to avoid accidents.

We used a few star charts, flash cards. I even set the alarm on my mobile phone to go off every half hour- we ran around frantically, waving the flash card of the toilet and shouting "wee wee" until she was sat on the potty. It worked really well for her!

coppertop Mon 18-Jul-05 22:16:50

I used a Social Story for ds1 (then 4yrs) to explain what he needed to do. He had a fear of full-size toilets so he used a large potty in the daytime and a nappy at night. He got a sticker when he used the potty.

For the first couple of weeks he had a nappy on when he went out. After that he went out in ordinary pants (and clothes) and was happy to use the child-size toilets that you find in Mothercare, Boots etc.

Ds2 is 2.5yrs and has so far resisted all attempts at potty-training.....

coppertop Mon 18-Jul-05 22:21:18

Forgot to add that he was dry at home within about a week. He got the hang of toilets when out-and-about pretty much straightaway. He's still in nappies at night but, as he's had a few mornings where his nappy has been dry, I may soon be brave enough to get rid of night-time nappies.

Socci Mon 18-Jul-05 23:21:32

Message withdrawn

Dingle Mon 18-Jul-05 23:59:18

For a visual prompt we use a picture of a toilet that the Learning disability team gave us. I think it came from the do2learn site. You can print them off in different sizes, handy for when you are toilet training away from home.

I have printed off a few small sized flash cards, ready to laminate and put on my key ring. That way I will always have them with us. (The other one I am using is a "timeout" sign!!

Dingle Tue 19-Jul-05 00:03:48

Not prepared for night time training at all yet. Thought I would master the day time first...but my little miss has me on my toes regardless. She is still having wet nappies at night, but has started waking up in the middle of the night and shouting over her safety gate at me "mummee...mumeee...weee wee"

I lift her onto the toilet and she does actually go, most of the time, so despite my tiredness, I really can't moan!

MamaMaiasaura Tue 19-Jul-05 00:04:21

Ds is toilet trained fine - me I cant get there on time!

SoBlue Tue 19-Jul-05 00:09:16

I used a child seat that went on top of the toilet with handles and steps. Ds like pretending to be big like us. When he was dry most nights i started using baby changing mats(padded nappy material with plastic one side) think they are Pampers. Just slip them under sheet for extra security. Again told ds he's like us wearing pants to bed. Hope it goes well!

beccaboo Tue 19-Jul-05 10:55:06

We had a potty that I let him use anywhere, kitchen, sitting room.......much to the disgust of my family! Being at nursery helped, he saw the other children using the mini toilets they have there.

We used a star chart, I used stickers with Fimbles etc on them. And we had lots of books about potties with lift-up flaps and things to play with.

Socci Tue 19-Jul-05 15:56:30

Message withdrawn

Dingle Tue 19-Jul-05 16:16:36

I have a huggies video somewhere. I think it was a freebie when we were potty training DS. I'll have to sort that out to see if it's worth passing on when Amelia is finished with potty training.

beccaboo Tue 19-Jul-05 17:25:55

Socci, I've just given a whole load of books to ds' nursery for their summer fair, but I'll see if I've still got any of them knocking about. The ones I can remember were a Bear in the Big Blue House one about the little bear learning to use the loo, and one called Lift The Flap Potty Book.

Davros Tue 19-Jul-05 17:28:01

For visual support, I think the big pic of the toilet for "informing" her that's what you're doing and ultimately for her to use to request. I wouldn't really use a sequence at this stage, that would be to sort out later problems with hand washing, flushing etc but maybe a picture of the toilet/potty or HER on it and a picture of a reinforcer, a very special reinforcer of course. You could also do a simple star chart for a super reinforcer or maybe keep this back in case of problems. If she doesn't like the fancy/reinforcing potty what about putting something exciting/interesting on/near the toilet plus favourite books/music. I know someone who did a "potty party" (american mother!) where they spent the whole time in the bathroom with the TV/video set up and just stayed right near the toilet while doing other work. Didn't though!!

aloha Tue 19-Jul-05 17:29:19

Toilet training. Don't talk to me about toilet training - says Aloha, while scrubbing poo stains off the carpet...

Davros Tue 19-Jul-05 17:31:43

Oh yeah, forgot to say, change all your carpets to wood floors!!! We did have to do this with DS's bedroom in the end, now its so bloody noisy when he wakes up at night and runs around, I wish we had carpets!!!

Socci Tue 19-Jul-05 17:35:23

Message withdrawn

Socci Tue 19-Jul-05 17:39:43

Message withdrawn

geekgrrl Tue 19-Jul-05 17:41:33

with dd it just suddenly seemed to click, almost from one day to the next really.

She'd eaten tons of watermelon and we encouraged her to sit on the potty, which resulted in a wee - lots of praise was duly given and she kept trying to do more - after all that watermelon there was plenty of wee to produce so she got lots of reinforcement.

The next day I got her to sit on the potty every hour or so and she always tried very hard to manage something, even just a little trickle.

She also started taking herself without prompting.

That was at half term, shortly after her 4th birthday - for once she actually reached a milestone early for a child with DS.

She still has quite a few accidents - close to 1 every day I'd say, but only at home and only wee, and she does need to be reminded to go. She still wears a pull-up at night and is usually wet in the mornings, I'm not terribly bothered about nighttime dryness though and will wait until she's had dry pull-ups for a good while.

We had support from a SN behavioural nurse which was useful, she suggested moving all the changing equipment to the bathroom and only doing nappy changes there, and filling in a time chart for a week to see when dd wets/soils her nappy so that we have some idea of when to put her on the potty.

She will sit on a toilet, but as she's so short her feet don't reach a footstool, so a potty is more comfortable for her.

Fio2 Tue 19-Jul-05 17:42:32

I will resist any advice as everything has failed for us

Davros Tue 19-Jul-05 17:48:36

Well Socci, I actually disagree with them, of course I don't know your DD. I think you should use a timer and put her on regardless, while showing her the potty pic and/or signing. Wanting her to request spontaneously at this stage, imo, is too high a target. The target is to get her to accept the potty, not learn how to make conversation about it! I also don't agree with not using visual strategies, I think they always help, even just as back up to vocal/sign etc.

Fio2 Tue 19-Jul-05 17:52:50

yes mine LOVES sitting on it then stands up buggers off and pisses herself little steps little steps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now