Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Who should apply for statement - Parents or school?(11 Posts)
The headteacher (SENCO) at my ds's school informed me recently that she feels my ds needs extra help so she will be applying for a statement when he goes back to school in year one. He has ASD. Academically he's doing great but his behaviour outside the classrooom is becoming more and more problematic.
I was elated when I heard that they were finally going to put in for a statement, because there has been talk of one ever since pre-school. But someone pointed out on MN that if the school apply and are turned down, there is no chance of reapplying, where as if I do, then the option of reapplying is there. So now I'm wondering what is the best step forward, the school or myself applying. Will it have more impact if the school asked for the extra help, as obviously they have much more knowledge of the problems he faces at school? Does anyone know of statements being turned down when the school has requested it?
Cant answer your last question macwoozy, but there is nothing to stop you applying as well as the school. Our local ASD support workers actually advise parents to do this in our area.
I'd think that the school applying would be fine and very likely to work. BUT why do they have to wait until Sept? Apply NOW and you are already 2 months down the line by Sept, the timetable ticks even if the school is shut. If she won't do it now then apply yourself.
The school applied for my ds statement. They do need to make sure they have all paperwork in order as LEA's (well certainly mine) will nitpick and look for any excuse to refuse.
I think it is about right of appeal, you have the right but school doesn't. You can request assessment again six months after being turned down.
Agree with Davros about applying now , statement can take six months but I expect school will want to wait till September simply because they won't be around.
I didn't know that I could apply at the same time, statementing is a whole new ball game for me, I am utterly clueless, well apart from what I've picked up on MN. The nit picking from the LEA is exactly my concerns, what if they see him sitting quietly doing his work instead of his normal disruptive behaviour.
I got to admit I was abit disappointed that they waited till the end of the school year to decide to go ahead with statementing, but it was explained to me that it initially appeared that he was doing remarkably well, and they didn't know which direction he was going, in that his behaviour could improve or worsen, but unfortunately lately it's been the latter. They pointed out that they would have to wait till beginning of school year because of the involvement of EP, SALT etc.
I will have a go with applying although it will be difficult to ascertain what he's like at school without being able to talk to them during the hols. I loathed doing DLA forms, please tell me that the statementing forms will be kinder to me!!
Why don't you apply NOW, don't worry its a very simple letter, there's a sample at the IPSEA website. Add that you have the support of the school and then, when school starts again, they can give their input as they would be required to do anyway. Only thing, do you think it would put the Head's back up if you do it? Can you ask her or best to keep your powder dry?
TBH I'd write to the LEA now and ask for your child to be assessed. I was advised to write myself rather than get school to do it. Sorry should have made myself a bit clearer - you have the right to appeal the decision if the decision to assess (i.e they agree to do a statement) is not granted. If school do it and LEA refuse they have no right to appeal.
The Headteacher is able to write and ask for a 'statutory assessment', but if you do it yourself you can be sure that the request has definitely been made, and you will know when it has been made.
However, if the Headteacher is willing, you could ask him or her to write a letter which supports your parental application.
If the LEA agree to assess they will take reports from a variety of people your child may have seen to date for example the ed pysch and the developmental peadiatrician to name but two. It can take around 6 months for a statement to be issued (it is certainly not a short process) so would recommend you start now. Also you will need to bear in mind that no work is done in August therefore you're looking at six months from September.
IPSEA are very good in this regard and there are sample letters you can use - www.ipsea.org.uk.
With best wishes
P.S My LEA turned me down twice before an assessment was agreed but there is a statement in place for my son now. Do not give up!!.
Exactly, they have bent over backwards to help my ds, his teacher even went on a short course to understand his problems. So it seems that they're doing everything they can, I really don't want to rock the boat. I will check out IPSEA website though, it really does make sense to begin the process now.
Thanks MeerKatsUnite. I see, it's whether they agree to assess in the first place that can't be appealed by the school. Am I reading that right? See I'm confused already and I haven't even started yet.
Here goes then, I'm off to the IPSEA website,
sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent but can someone tell me what it means to get through the first hurdle and get the lea agree to do an assessment. Does that automatically mean a statement will happen?
Macwoozy, as far as I know, you would appeal, not the school. Shey, if they agree, again as far as I know, then, yes the statement goes ahead. Then you have to sort out the nitty gritty of provision and special educational needs etc...
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.