Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Not drinking in this weather

(6 Posts)
PeachyClair Thu 14-Jul-05 12:46:24

Hello!

Ok, Sam (as youa ll know Aspergers) hates drinking, always has, only way I can get him to do it is stand over him and yell. Well, in this weather it is getting to be a problem as he is over tired with the heat and therefore even less likely to co-operate! Had borderline heatstroke (NHS direct were about to send an ambulance but DH (humanely) forced fluid into him) Tuesday after a fun run at school, and is refusing to strip down when over hot and instead sneaks off to put on layers of clothes as he hates being lightly dressed.

Any ideas anyone?

Aimsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 12:56:10

Message withdrawn

colditz Thu 14-Jul-05 12:57:59

Umm, i don't know very much about Aspergers, but will he understand getting a financial reward? May not be the route you want to go down anyway.

Also, a straw with a glowstick in it. You suck, glowsitck rises, you stop sucking, it sinks. You can buy them in a lot of party shops or child friendly pubs. Any good?

sophy Thu 14-Jul-05 19:09:19

jelly?

or sucking a sponge -- my ds (also Aspergers)loves to do this in the bath, much to my annoyance.

Chocol8 Fri 15-Jul-05 08:39:10

When my ds did this (also AS) I used to give him watered down yoghurts and basically stick water in any foods I could get away with.

Also, he does like straws as Colditz suggested and sometimes I had to resort to actually feeding him water with a dessert spoon - takes ages, but at least he has some fluid in him.

I also tried about a hundred different water bottles - all shapes and sizes (costs a fortune) as he didn't like the feel of some of the mouthpieces because of his sensory issues.

mulsey Sat 16-Jul-05 22:54:10

your Sam sounds like my daughter, she is just not interested in drinking - its a worry. We too have a collection of bottles and beakers. My daughter will not drink any clear fluids at all, she lives on fortini (high calorie) drink. When its hot I make jelly! I mix it with everything as the dietican said it was as good as liquid. I also bought a blender and make her smoothies, again they are milk based, but I also add ice cubes..... Its hard outsmarting children!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now