Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone recommend a good vitamin/food supplement?

(15 Posts)
Eulalia Tue 12-Jul-05 10:54:40

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago on the food section and didn't get much response but am getting desparate. Sorry. Just to repeat the story. ds lost his lower two front baby teeth about 3/4 weeks ago. It took ages for them to come out. During this period he decided that he didn't like fruit and veg. He stopped eating his portions at school (he always ate 2) and then at home. I could understand apple hurting his mouth but then he stopped eating melon and advocado.... but of course will still eat crusty bread!!! This morning he refused pineappple juice which he previously had.

The only thing he will take now is fresh orange or apple juice. I am obviously worried that he is missing out on an important part of his diet. Part of me i sthinking it is a phase but that doesn't really happen with autistic kids does it?

I can't hide food as he has to see exactly what he is eating - for eg he would previously eat plain pasta, peas separately and hot dog sausages again in another bowl. Will not tolerate anything mixed.

Anyway if anyone else has been through this and found something that will work then I'd appreciate some advice. Otherwise I need to look at a food supplement that can be mixed into his fruit juice and won't make a taste.

Thanks, sorry its so long but am desparate and in the throes of school holidays now too.... arggghhh

Fio2 Tue 12-Jul-05 11:01:35

I am going through the same thing with my daughter atm

I am giving her minidex and eskimo oil in the hope that the mindex will increase her appetite and the eskimo oil will increase her EFA as she has come out in those little spots on the skin (you know the ones?)

Fio2 Tue 12-Jul-05 11:02:47

yes and my sentiments exactly about the school hols, why couldnt they pick a better time to be bloody awkward

Jimjams Tue 12-Jul-05 14:09:32

I've just posted some nutrimeal (a milkshake food) to fio- should be there tomorrow. Nutrimeal can be mixed with water or milk- but obviously does have a taste.

My son hasn;t eaten fruit or veg for about 2 years (he would eat some fruits before), except orange juice and apple juice. I've tried various supplements although he spots them all now (and can;t have nutrimeal as it contains gluten). There is one vitamin tablet he'll take (usanimals) and he eats that like a sweet (looks like one although still tastes vitaminy- can be crunched though).

Jimjams Tue 12-Jul-05 14:11:12

for iron- there is spatone- a mineral water high in iron which comes in sachets- you can add that to orange juice although it tastes a bit tangy.

Eulalia Tue 12-Jul-05 18:44:15

Thanks a lot. I forgot he does like the peach juice from Lidl - well at least he did a few days ago. It is rather sugary though. And tinned tomato soup but can hardly bear to give him it as he spills it everywhere.

I am disappointed as he used to eat so well - usually 4 portions a day and then this all of a sudden. Trouble is knowing what to replace it - bread or biscuits doesn't seem right somehow. I think his iron intake is OK as he will eat meat - likes sandwiches so I load up plenty of protein.

May try that nutrimeal as he will usually have milkshake alhtough doesn't drink a lot of milk.

Thanks again.

Eulalia Wed 13-Jul-05 09:43:58

jimjams - can you get nurtrimeal in supermarkets or is mail order best?

Well he drank the p/juice this morning - I am actually wondering if I gave him it at the ^wrong time of day^ yesterday or if he notices things less in the morning....

I had a few thoughts about smuggling food which may help others. He sometimes eats jelly so could make that up with fruit juice. Also I may try pancakes as he does like omelette and smuggle mashed banana perhaps.... all very fiddly and not what I need with immiment baby but if it works.

Jimjams Wed 13-Jul-05 10:32:02

eulalia- you can get it from my website (It's from the US) - Delivery at the moment is a bit picey if you're only ordering one thing (will be decreasing soon- you buy it for the same price as me btw- direct from the company- if you buy it via the website). If you want to try some to see if your son will take it CAT me and I'll send you some to give it a go (I'll give you my website details if you want them then as well). I've got chocolate and vanilla here at the moment, although they also do strawberry, I can post you a bit of both to see if he likes it. I'm hoping the packages don't leak in the post- white powder and all that!

Fio2 Wed 13-Jul-05 13:58:32

mine is here dd is currently drinking the vanilla one

they smell delicious!

Jimjams Wed 13-Jul-05 14:01:03

is she? wow!

Eulalia Wed 13-Jul-05 20:49:59

Didn't even know you had a website jimjams but have hardly been on mumsnet much recently except the ante-natal threads.

Yes I will CAT you - it may be next week though as I've got so much on over the next few days with ds's party and then his birthday. Thanks for offering samples - he definately likes chocolate milkshake so looks promising.

Jimjams Wed 13-Jul-05 20:55:49

Not many people know I have a webste Eulalia- don't worry. If you CAT me I'll link you to the product info etc. Send me your address (I know I had it, but I lost it!) and I'll pop a bit to try in the post.

Davros Wed 13-Jul-05 21:48:19

Jimjams, website? Tell us more! Is it in japanese?
I know this is a bit trite, but if you can prevent him eliminating foods at all then DO. DS has eliminated so many foods over the years, not that I think I could have done much about it.
We used to get something called Seravit on prescription which is a powdered multi-vitamin for children. If you're interested I can look at a tin as I've still got some.

Jimjams Wed 13-Jul-05 21:55:49

ha ha actually there is a japanese version (seriously!)

Eulalia Thu 14-Jul-05 08:44:21

Not at all Davros - am becoming an expert at how the autistic mind works. dh was wonderng why I was flapping so much but I tried hard to nip it in the bud... however it didn't work and gradually all the fruit/veg stopped over the course of a couple of weeks. One evening he was still eating carrot and we had this long discussion about how rabbits like carrots and I let him grate his own carrot. I went out the room and found him on the floor naked eating the carrot (being a rabbit) but was just pleased that he'd eaten the carrot! That only worked 2 nights though.

dh said to starve him - tried that one evening but he just woke in the middle of the night hungry.

Can't win!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now