Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would you carry on to get a formal dx in this case? (Sorry long and rambly)

(9 Posts)
WedgiesMum Sun 10-Jul-05 21:05:16

Hi, me again, and I'm in a real quandry.

In March DS was seen by the Ed Psych who said he was fairly confident that DS (now 6) has some form of ASD ( possibly PDA - pathalogical demand avoidance) and after completing the CARS scale thingy he said he was confident that DS is mild to moderate on the scale (DS also failed the theory of mind test quite conclusively). At the time DS had had 15 horrific months at school where he had been frustrated, aggressive, angry and unhappy. Since this report School have been treating him much more as an ASD child and have taken on board some of the EP's recommendations and some of the things we have suggested. DS has settled down much more, been MUCH happier and is making good academic progress (he is very bright anyway so his progress has been incredible this year). He has started to gain better control of his temper and is being much more copperative. His behaviour at home has deteriorated however, he is closer to the edge and will erupt if things are not going his way.

Back in March we asked for a referral to the Child Development Centre and we had the first meeting this week. Now since Easter DS has been better at school and the paed said 'I'm not sure if I can help you' because DS is being fine at the moment. I was a bit non plussed by this and don't think I 'sold' DS's difficulties to her well enough, although she has agreed to observe him at school and refer him to a SALT just to get a baseline assessment of his verbal communication.

SO - do I carry on with pushing for their involvement?

I am thinking about putting our concerns down on paper and sending this to her because I feel that I didn't say loads of things I should have done. I am concerned that DS will revert to his old behaviour with the move to Y2 in September and a return to the teacher who taught him in reception and didn't handle him well, I am also concerned that he will revert as his routine will be altered or if things go wrong (like if he's ill or tired or something) or if school stop treating him like they have been since Easter.

What do you think? School seem to think they have cracked it and things are now all hunky dory and will continue to be so as he has 'matured'. They don't accept the PDA dx and are somewhat sceptical about an ASD tag too, although they do accept he 'exhibits autistic characteristics' whatever that means.

Aaargh! What would you do?? I just want him to continue to be happy and do well, but don't want to waste the paed's time as I know that there is a long waiting list and there are other people out there who have need of their input.

Thanks for reading this far. Would appreciate your thoughts - THANKS! WMxx

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-05 21:09:41

Thinking of you and you lovely DS Wedgiesmum.

I think you have to do what, deep down, you feel is right. From talking to you, I suspect that is to continue and to fight for DS's help and support. I know it will be hard, but you are a really strong person and you will get through it.

I am sure others will be here shortly to give you some proper advise.

Just wanted to know that I am thinking of you. Take care.

Claire x

PS. How about a meet in the summer hols?

coppertop Sun 10-Jul-05 21:23:41

I think you are right to follow your instincts and try to get a diagnosis. If things fall apart in Yr 2 you may find yourself having to start all over again wrt getting ds back on to waiting lists etc.

My ds1 is 5 and autistic. He's had a brilliant first year at school and it's almost like having a different child. However, if he isn't treated in the same way next year it's possible that there may be some kind of regression.

I honestly don't believe that you'd be wasting anyone's time by pursuing a diagnosis.

Tiggiwinkle Sun 10-Jul-05 22:24:02

I agree with CT. My DS is 6 and is AS. He was diagnosed in March, but prior to the DX school were very reluctant to accept he might have an ASD.
The thing is, you never know when something might happen to cause your DS to struggle or run into problems at school-at least with a DX you will always be able to argue his case, no matter who his teacher is. Once you have it, it will always be there to fall back on.

onlyjoking Sun 10-Jul-05 22:30:00

i would push for a DX school may be more willing to help if he has a DX, things may have improved at school at the moment but like you say lots of changes ahead and that may cause your son some difficulties

Davros Mon 11-Jul-05 09:40:30

I think you should put the things you feel you didn't say in writing. I find this works really well with my Paediatrician and there is also a "trail" to follow in the future. Imo Schools are not qualified to comment on relevance of dx, I don't know why they behave as if they are.

WedgiesMum Thu 14-Jul-05 20:17:48

Thanks for this! Sorry not to get back sooner to say thanks, don't get online as much these days (no internet access at work!).

Have written lots down and now it runs to 4 pages!!!Looking at DS at the moment at school you would never guess really, but 6 months ago.......

Anyway, thanks again!

WMxxx

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-05 20:23:21

Hang inthere WM; you know you are doing the right thing for your DS.

bambi06 Thu 14-Jul-05 20:42:49

yeah, he`s porobably acting better because they now have strategies inplace to help and then wonder why he`s calmed down..duh!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now