Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If its not ASD then what else could it be???

(7 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Sun 10-Jul-05 15:56:45

My ds has autistic like tendencies (from what i have read in books and on this forum) But if the dx is wrong what else could it be??

Does autism (whatever autism really is) mimic a global development delay and if so what is a global delay?

What affects a child so much that their speech is seriously impaired and their senses too? What is it that these kids need to have?

I have read that its a "disturbance" between the hemispheres in the brain. For speech particularly, they need to develop emotional attachments to things in order to speak. The autism like tendencies have de wired their brains to effectively develop needed emotions.

Oh, its all so convaluted, especially when you dont believe a word of it. It is beginning to sound just plain made up gobbledygook. dont get me wrong my son has serious problems like many of your kids. But where are the answers? I am having a hard time even saying "autism" with any degree of seriousness cause increasingly its beginning to mean absolutely nothing to me, it stands for nothing due to the lack of knowledge about it.

Jimjams Sun 10-Jul-05 16:05:15

autism manifests itself differently in every case. In my son's case he is now classed as severely autistic. At 6 he is non-verbal and he has big sensory problems, has very bad complusive tendencies and yet he is interactive, funny, now he's at the right school happy most of the time, occasionally cooperative and very afffectionate and loving.

Autism describes a problem with communication, and not much else.

Glaball dellay is when a child is late hitting all milestones (physical and social for example)) USually the child is on the same developmental pathway and just gets there slower. IN autistm development is usually disordered. Some areas are age appropriate or even advanced, others may be very delayed, or disorderded and will never catch up.

Blossomhill Sun 10-Jul-05 20:53:04

Well my dd has autistic traits and unless seen by the trained eye could be mistaken for asd/autism. However after many assessments it is obvious that when you look at dd in terms of the bigger picture (especially the triad) she doesn't had it. As she has good imagination and other signs that generally rule out an asd.
She does have a pragmatic language disorder however which is still a pretty life impacting disorder all the same.

coppertop Sun 10-Jul-05 21:13:36

As Jimjams says, with global delay each area of development is delayed. With ASD it's usually disordered. Ds2 was late to speak and has disordered language development. He can now speak in sentences but is only just starting out at the 2-word level of comprehension. OTOH his fine-motor skills are far more advanced than they should be.

My 2 boys only started to speak when they 'got' the point of communication. Until then they assumed that I knew exactly what they wanted but just didn't want to give it to them. Obviously this is not the case for every child though.

TheRealMrsF Sun 10-Jul-05 21:18:19

look at things like

SEMANTIC PRAGMATIC LANGUAGE DISORDER

AND

DYSPRAXIA

when i did there were many things that my boys have ....but like said before.... they still had the TRIAD of impairments associated with AUTISM.... so the way i look at it with my lads is that they have Asperger's...but tom has 'Dyspraxic tendancies'...and Alex has 'pragmatic' difficulties....hope that makes sense.

mamadadawahwah Tue 12-Jul-05 01:14:42

Anybody explain what semantic pragmatic language disorder really is?? where it comes from?

TheRealMrsF Tue 12-Jul-05 14:02:11

try this
...then have a look at the rest of the website...has loads of great info on many features of Autistic Spectrum Disorders.....not just semantic pragmatic language disorder.....you will see many 'overlaps'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now