Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do I need a social worker for my asd child?

(12 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Sun 10-Jul-05 14:08:44

Being new to the asd diagnosis thing, I have been advised I need a social worker. Yech. The very thought of someone from social services coming into my home and writing down notes about our family makes me physically ill.

Is it physcially possible to get the help you need for your asd children without the their help??

anniebear Sun 10-Jul-05 20:44:38

I asked about a SW last year and a SW that we knew said "oh no, there is a bit of a stigma to it"

I really didn't care and was shocked that a SW herself would have that opinion. We got told by another person that tht was an outdated veiw.

I don't really think I need one at the moment but it could be different in a year or two, Ellie is only 3.

I would have one, although I have no direct experience as we are still waiting. If in a few more years you decide you could do with one, it will take a long time.

We asked back in October and are still waiting.

We had an initial assessment and she was a lovely lady that came into our home. She came out twice and was very nice and great with the girls.

It may just be that your SW could help you fill out forms. I just thought it may be another form of support for me.

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 20:46:05

we have a social worker [shrugs]

Jimjams Sun 10-Jul-05 20:46:57

I have one- but it took about a year to organise.

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 20:48:24

they can help u access more support.

coppertop Sun 10-Jul-05 20:55:05

We have no social worker. Ds2 has a portage worker who is very good at finding out local info for me. A SW can be useful, depending on your circumstances, but it doesn't necessarily follow that having a child with ASD means that you have to get a SW.

Davros Mon 11-Jul-05 09:34:51

I avoided Soc Svs for a long time but now have a social worker and it is a godsend. This is how I get Direct Payments, info on special swimming session, access to Council play scheme and soon a Link worker. Your child will prob be known to Soc Svs anyway as they are responsible for the Register of Disabled Children, whether you make use of them or not is up to you and I can understand leaving it for a while, but they can be very useful. All the Soc Svs people I've met or spoken to have been wonderful, not the same everywhere though.

PeachyClair Mon 11-Jul-05 10:17:14

I am trying to get one for my Aspergers son, but SS don't return my calls . Any tips? Had enough of no sleep / DS2 being injured nightly.

anniebear Mon 11-Jul-05 11:28:34

Yes we too had Portage and that was a great support for me, but then that stopped as Ellie went to 5 sessions at Pre School, the SN toy library stops soon as the girls start school, so I thought a SW would be handy to have as another form of support as mine was all going!!!

Even if you don't really want one at the mo mamadadawahwah, I would maybe look into as it takes so long to get one

beccaboo Mon 11-Jul-05 23:40:32

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but in this area there are two SN Health Visitors - they can help with DLA forms etc. Might be a good place to start.

jayzmummy Mon 11-Jul-05 23:48:44

If you get one then please tell me how! I phoned 18 months ago and asked to be seen and still nothing, despite my monthly call to the SS office just to remind them we are still sat here waiting for our first interview.

I want,no need,DP's so I can afford to send J to the ASD respite group each £30 per day I just cant afford it.
Dp's would help with ensuring J gets some well needed time away from us and we can spend some time with DS1 doing the 'normal' family things he so desperately wants to do.

PeachyClair Tue 12-Jul-05 08:17:39

The NAS does offer pro-forma letters requesting the visits you are entitled to, I dont know if they work but they are available from the helpline

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: