Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone help my sis her ds's teacher thinks he is Dispraxic

(16 Posts)
sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 11:54:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Thu 07-Jul-05 11:57:51

Go to GP and get him refered to OT or physio

DS has Dyspraxia he is 10

The school should be sorting out an IEP for him

there are all sorts of symtoms all covered under the umbrella of dyspraxia

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 12:07:49

LIZS Thu 07-Jul-05 12:09:55

We are currently awaiting a referral for ds (7) to local Child Health unit via GP in UK so not sure exactly where that will take us yet. The GP did point out that dyspraxia is really a list of symptoms rather than a diagnosis in itself so we also need to eliminate any underlying problem. btw dypsraxia is very common - up to 1:20 especially boys - but often so slight that it goes unidentified and the child unhelped.

However ds has already had private Occupational therapy for a year as we currently live abroad which has helped his balance, sense of body image(proprioception sp?), coordination and specific fine motor skill tasks such as writing and tying shoe laces. She did an assessment of him and gave us a a questionnaire asking about his development and health. Then she devised a programme of activities such as throwing different weight bean bags into a bucket, rolling and swinging and let him create a game around them each session. She also gave us a list of the types of activites which may help him to give us ideas at home.

Depending on where your dn's problems lie at school he may need more time to complete written tasks, more prompting to stay focussed long enough to complete a piece of work or be allowed to do a simpler version of the classwork, help with dressing and PE, for example. Perhaps the SENCO could point them in the right direction and ensure that his teacher for next year is aware.

RTKangaMummy Thu 07-Jul-05 12:36:34

INDIVIDUAL EDUCATIONAL PLAN

It is a list of targets particular to DN

it is updated about every 6 months

DS was diagnosed by Paed consultant and Physio

Then had OT for couple of years on NHS

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 12:41:45

RTKangaMummy Thu 07-Jul-05 13:31:28

IMHO once the DX is made it can make it easier to get help

good luck to him

Let us know how he gets on

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 13:36:11

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 17:11:01

LIZS Thu 07-Jul-05 17:19:16

Think it depends how it affects dn. ds finds social games like soccer hard because he can't anticipate the other children's actions and react quickly himself, so perhaps shooting practice or a slower game would help. Also he hates riding his bike but will do a bit if "launched" and can then pedal but needs lots of space and encouragement. Perhaps your ds could encourage games such as basketball (with low hoop), hand/eye games such as soft tennis or throwing and catching. Also for fine motor skills activities such as playdoh, threading, cutting and sticking, building, painting are good, so maybe they could devise a project together. Also structured activities where dn has to follow specific instructions , like creating a Knex or Lego model, may help.

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 17:33:31

Kittypickle Thu 07-Jul-05 17:56:47

My DD is 6 and has dyspraxia. It was picked up at the beginning of her reception year. She was referred to the community paediatrican and then down to the co-ordination clinic at the local hospital, where she was diagnosed as having dyspraxia, hypermobility, hypotonia and speech and language delay. The school have liased with the hospital and she has a writing board and a special pencil as she's struggled with pencil grip etc. Her teacher has various strategies that she uses to help her in the classroom. She has and IEP and has recently started having a one to one session with the SENCO (special educational needs co-ordinator) She had a course of physio and occupational therapy which helped her a lot (it was the physio rather than a speech therapist who got her using her tongue which had a limited range of movement.

With this help (and Omega 3 which I feel has been beneficial) she has made huge progress this year and things are very different now to a year ago. Hopefully your dn will get some help now as you said and things will improve. I personally found having a diagnosis really helpful as it made sense of why things were always such a struggle. I hope the same happens for your sister once she's had time to adjust to what she's been told, which is always a shock I think however much you expect it.

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 18:03:13

sallystrawberry Thu 07-Jul-05 21:29:55

RTKangaMummy Thu 07-Jul-05 21:46:08

deffo brill

sheenalouise Fri 08-Jul-05 18:43:02

MY DS WAS DIAGNOSED WITH DYSPAXIA WHEN HE WAS 2 1/2 AS I HAD AGREAT HEALTH VISITOR WHO I NAGGED CONSTANTLY AS HE NEVER TALKED OR EVEN BABBLED. WE MANAGED TO GET HIM INTO A SPECIAL PLAYGROUP NEARBY WHO SPECIALIZES IN SPEECH AND DEVELOPMENTAL PROBLEMS WHICH HELPED HIM BUILD HIS CONFIDENCE AND NOT FEEL SO ALONE.WE ALSO HAD GREAT HELP FROM OUR CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTRE AND EVENTUALLY GOT HIM REFERRED TO THE NUFFIELD CENTRE IN LONDON WHO SPECIALIZE IN THIS. THEY WERE EXCELLENT! LONG WAITING LIST BUT WORTH IT.HE NOW HAS CONSTANT SPEECH THERAPY WHICH HAS STARTED TO PAY OFF. HE HAD NO MOVEMENT IN HIS TONGUE 4 MONTHS AGO BUT CAN NOW COMPLETELY LICK HIS LIPS(EXCEPT UP) A GREAT EXCERCISE IS PRACTISING BLOWING BUBBLES WHICH ALL KIDS LOVE AND PUTTING ICING ON THERE SIDE OF THEIR MOUTH AND GET THEM TO TRY AND LICK IT OFF. I BOUGHT MY SON HIS OWN LITTLE MIRROR SO HE CAN SEE WHAT HE IS DOING; PRACTISING AND REPITION IS VERY HARD IN YOUNG KIDS BUT IF YOU CAN MAKE IT FUN THE HARD WORK REALLY DOES PAY OFF. MY SON STILL HAS A LONG WAY TO GO AND HAS IMPROVED IMMENSLEY. YOU CAN GET A STATEMENT OF EDUCATION TO GET CHILDREN MORE HELP BUT THEY HAVE TO BE EXTREMELY BAD TO GET ANY KIND OF FUNDING WHICH IS RUBBISH. SORRY ITS SO LONG BUT HOPE THIS HELPS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now