Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

And now It's MY turn to get kicked in the teeth by DLA

(19 Posts)
TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 11:57:09

......after 2 weeks ago....being told that because i had not got leighs forms back to them quick enough..that they had made a decision to NOT award DLA to him based on what the school had said......so i filed a request for a RECONSIDERATION.

well...now toady ...just as i was about to post off my own DLA RENEWAL forms (award due to end in August).... well got advised that AGAIN ...because I DID NOT RETURN MY FORMS fast enough (and yes... i know i have had heaps of time to do it).....that tehy have decided to terminate my DLA.

So i am requesting a reconsideration for me too.....

I am just so *issed off...as i am to blame....i am so effing disorganised- chaotic etc that nothing is 'right' at the moment.....

Just wish they wrote giving a final deadline... then i would have had to make a choice...send them the forms or not....but all she said today was that the notes said that i had not responded to letters and phone calls....well...the letters just keep reminding you to return the forms......and phone calls are not an option for me...i rarely answer the 'incoming' calls...i usually let it ring - then ring 1471....and ofcourse DLA withold their number.....and i have a niggle that yesterday the phone rang and rang for 2 mins and i just stood there waiting for it to stop...and i bet that was them.

It's jsut hard for me- i am my own worst enemy... people have offered to help me with all this stuff...and i have insisted i do it myself- so if it fails i won't blame them.

and now i have nothing.

misdee Wed 06-Jul-05 11:58:34

they are going to top peters in 2 weeks time.

misdee Wed 06-Jul-05 11:59:16

can u get an answerphone or set up 1571

coppertop Wed 06-Jul-05 12:07:49

MrsF You really are having a cr@ppy time of it atm.

If they gave an actual deadline it would be so much easier. I followed the instructions on the form and sent Section 1 off at the end of May for ds2. I got a phone call 2 or 3 weeks later demanding to know where Section 2 was. So much for being given extra time to fill in the form.

Sax Wed 06-Jul-05 12:43:19

Hi The RMF - sorry you having a hard time. I just wanted to say, I that I thought the deadline was the date on the front of the original forms and then after they decline (which they have me!!!) then you have 28d to appeal from the date on the decline letter! Surely that is their deadline????? sorry if i've misread something
I know what you mean about the not answering the phone!!!! LOL same here.
I can't suggest anything sorry because I am in limbo waiting to hear if my decsion has been overturned but I am not very hopeful!

maddiemo Wed 06-Jul-05 12:47:58

Blimey Mrs F.

It just seems like an excuse to stop money.

How long do you get to return forms?

Like Ct I have sent off part 1 following a reminder, butthe school have part 2 as they are filling it part of of it. I don't want to hassle them for it back as they are very busy, but am aware that I have had form since May.

maddiemo Wed 06-Jul-05 12:49:07

Sax First time applications are date stamped, but renewals are not.

TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 12:56:05

they do give 'plenty' of time...about 3 months.... so i cannot complain ....but what narks me is that they are happy to send a letter or 2 or 3 to remind you...but cannot type one line that says

"do this before such-and-such-a-date"..."OR ELSE!!!"

TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 12:57:38

i've just popsted the forms and a huge letter expalining my delay....and Special Delivery (there by 1 tomorrow) cost me £4.25

Davros Wed 06-Jul-05 21:20:53

Can you ask for reonciseration, taking into account how hard you find it all, given your own issues? HOpe it works out.

TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 21:22:06

yes..i typed up a request for the claim to be reconsidered....

TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 21:23:04

...oops meant to add ...and included it with the claim forms

I'm just feeling so sick about it....

heartinthecountry Wed 06-Jul-05 21:31:10

MrsF - I might be in the same situation as you soon as i have had dd's form for ages and can't bring myself to fill it in.

It makes me mad that they produce this ridiculously long and complicated form and expect the very people who have f**k all time because they are too busy looking after their disabled child (or have problems themself) to fill it in. And then, not just once but repeatedly every year or so.

For renewals why can't they produce a form on which you would just write what has changed rather than having to fill in the whole lot again?

Oh, but of course that way more people would probably claim and they would have to pay out more money - silly me

TheRealMrsF Wed 06-Jul-05 21:37:13

i actually feel that my 'down' mood at the momet is almost wholy due to having to 'rake up' and explain all my failings and struggles.

Like you say...the fact you have to fully fill the forms in is ridiculous...just makes me feel like they are trying to catch me out.

Funnily enough...i am more worried about them still turning me down this time than i ever was when i claimed the first time.

For me...getting awarded DLA was like an acceptance and recognition that i i struggle with things others do naturally...so iover the past 18 months i have 'relaxed' a bit...and felt more at ease with how i am...and now i feel dreadful that if they still decide to not pay it ...then it's as if they are making me 'officialy capable'...when i still am not.

coppertop Thu 07-Jul-05 06:42:42

I agree with HITC about the forms. It would be so much easier if there was an option to tick a "Nothing has changed since my last application" box.

I know what you mean about feeling as though they were somehow trying to catch you out with the form. It's horrible.

Fran1 Thu 07-Jul-05 07:49:37

MrsF use the help that is out there, either from cab or you may have a local carers organisation that will complete them for you.
I know its too late for the form filling.

But sometimes just a letter on "headed" paper explaining your reasons for it taking so long can be enough to change things

Someone from cab or carers orgs will do this for you.

KarenThirl Thu 07-Jul-05 10:28:57

Sorry to hear this Mrs F. As if you haven't enough on your plate without it.

Try CAB first to find out where you stand. The DWP have a complaints procedure which you might want to follow - I don't think you've been treated fairly and you could even cite discrimination against yourself on disability grounds. They SHOULD have warned you and given you a choice as to whether or not you pursued your claim, but just cutting you off like that isn't on.

I hope you can get some help with this and sort it out. But I guess it's going to be a struggle for you, sorry.

TheRealMrsF Thu 07-Jul-05 13:33:14

thanks Karen and all of you...my Mental Health worker is coming tomorrow...so i will ask her to phone the DWP up...and follow up with a letter.

jenk1 Thu 07-Jul-05 14:45:18

BIG HUGS... Mrs F for u, u r having a hard time, hope u feel better tomorrow
love
jenk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now