Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone got experience of radio aids?

(7 Posts)
geogteach Mon 04-Jul-05 19:06:44

DS was due to get his last week (delayed AGAIN), now he won't have it to practice with at pre school before he goes to school in September. What i'm asking really is does it take a lot of getting used to, he accepted his aids really well but when the teacher of the deaf showed him the harness he has to wear for the radio aid he did not react well and i'm a bit worried that starting school and using a new bit of kit that makes him stand out will be tough on him

Littlefish Mon 04-Jul-05 20:18:57

Hi Geogteach

I've taught two children with radio aids (both in Reception). In both cases, the children concerned were keen to talk about their radio aids and show them to the other children. The children were very interested, especially when they knew it would make the hearing impaired children the best listener in the class! (they know I'm really keen on good listeners and give them lots of stickers!!!).

I presume your ds will be taking it off at playtime. What about PE? There is a new sort of radio aid which simply has a small circular attachment on the bottom of the hearing aid. It means the child doesn't need to wear a receiving pack around the neck. They are a bit fragile however, but it might be worth speaking to your teacher of the deaf to see whether he could have one once he's settled in at school.

Are there any other children at the school with radio aids whose parents you could speak to?

One word of advice for the teacher.... remember to turn your microphone off at playtime when you go to the loo!!!!!!!

geogteach Tue 05-Jul-05 18:48:55

Thanks littlefish, i'm a teacher so have experience of radio aids from that point of view but in secondary, in my first job the teacher of the deaf used to speak to deaf kids in another building usin the aid! DS will be the only deaf child in his mainstream school. I have seen some of the newer radio aids which look fab and much less intrusive but teacher of the deaf said he was too young for them so I guess I just wait and see.

Tortington Tue 05-Jul-05 19:21:25

my daughter has the equipment and loved it in juior school as she could use it as a semi walkie talkie with hr mates - however senior school is a whole new ball game and she just won't wear them at all.

so her hearing support teacher asked for them back for someone else - so i ask myself whether thats the right approach or the right approach should be more support!

its hard work - but junior school should be fine

Littlefish Tue 05-Jul-05 20:30:24

Hi Geogteach

How old is your DS? Am I right in thinking he's just about to start in Reception. The little girl I taught who had the smaller radio aid was in Reception. She started off with the sort that hung round her neck, but as soon as she was comfortable using it (about half a term), it was changed to one of the less obvious ones. It might be worth pushing it a bit - although different counties probably have different policies on it. Using the smaller one also means that you don't have to take the radio aid on and off at playtime and lunchtime.

I had lots of support from the teacher of the deaf who advised me on the best way of using the radio aid, distances, appropriate times etc. She comes in about once a term to see whoever is teaching the children with radio aids and helps with targets for IEPs.

I'm sure your ds will do just fine at school. Younger children are very curious, and may ask quite blunt questions, but I have always found them to be very supportive too.

Feffi Tue 05-Jul-05 20:51:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

geogteach Wed 06-Jul-05 14:57:59

Thanks for all these, think i'll wait and see what it actually looks like when it arrives and then think about looking for a new one! Hadfn't thought of the loan scheme so may look into that cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now