Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just got dd's I count card

(15 Posts)
Blossomhill Mon 04-Jul-05 18:59:11

It is a card that proves your child has special needs/disability. It is really handy as the council have also sent a list of venues (such as swimming, cinema, legoland) etc and shows you where you can use it to prove you are a carer the savings you make. They have also shown them to all of the shops, libraries etc so if need be you can show them say if you are in a ahop etc. Saves all that faffing about with letters and forms!
I have been saying we have needed one of these for years!

deegward Mon 04-Jul-05 19:01:37

Oooh I was at Legoland on Friday and they let people with those cards to the front of the queues, very shallow I know, but some (don't know if this applies to you) of the children wouldn't havehad the patience to stand.

pleased for you

maddiemo Mon 04-Jul-05 19:09:36

I have never heard of it BH. Is it just your council that issues them?

Blossomhill Mon 04-Jul-05 19:10:16

deegward - yes it is one of the benefits. Have to say though have had some awful looks from people when we have "jumped" the queue. As dh and I said we would much rather dd could wait and when asked by another person in the queue "how can we get one of those?"
A friend answered "have a disabled child" Person went very quiet!!!!

coppertop Mon 04-Jul-05 19:13:39

Is it a local scheme or a national one?

deegward Mon 04-Jul-05 19:33:48

I was glad to let the people go infront of us, some people are so insular!

Blossomhill Mon 04-Jul-05 20:03:26

Not sure coppertop. According to the letter it is only the boroughs that have contracted for "I count".
deegward - thank you, it's so nice to hear of people being understanding. Unfortunately there are a fair few people around who really are ignorant when it comes to "invisible" disabilites!

Davros Tue 05-Jul-05 09:39:00

My Soc Svs dept gives us an ID card. It doesn't entitle you to discounts etc but it a way of proving that your child is eligible iyswim. It also saves embarrassment for the staff when I say he's disabled and they don't have to ask how he is disabled. I've never heard of I Count though. I've also got a new ID card thingy from the NAS in a little wallet.

Blossomhill Tue 05-Jul-05 09:40:55

These are the organisations that have been made aware of "I count"

Alton Towers
Chessington
Drusillas
Kew Gardens
London Eye
Longleat
Maddam Tussads
Springboardproject
All local shopping and leisure centres

anniebear Tue 05-Jul-05 11:51:35

Thats a great idea, never heard of them.

Will have DH ringing round later to see if we can get one!!!

Davros Tue 05-Jul-05 13:39:54

annie, if he finds a central place to get them or info, get him to post to us!

Merlot Tue 05-Jul-05 13:46:21

Sounds an excellent idea. Is it linked with the Disability register or DLA payments?

I must get my act together to apply for DLA - just keep shuffling that blasted form from one end of the sideboard to the other - and have now left it so long, I need to get another form as some things have changed!....Serves me right!

TheRealMrsF Tue 05-Jul-05 13:48:15

is this what you are talking about?

Merlot Tue 05-Jul-05 13:55:48

I think you could be right Mrs F - Blossomhill definitely comes under one of those boroughs (unfortunately we dont! )

Davros Tue 05-Jul-05 13:57:03

Looks good doesn't it? Our ID card that is issued by Soc Svs is related to the Disability Register. I didn't realise for a few years that SOc Svs knew exactly who we were as DS is on the register, even though we didn't access services via them at that time. The register is voluntary though I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now